One hell of a day! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One hell of a day!

Well first of all, I finally got my car back. In case you dont remember the full story, I'll tell it again. Well I was installing my motorcraft 2100 on my 258, I had tried messing with the carter as had been stated on ORC to get it running good, but it wouldnt. So I scrapped the carter and started the install on the motorcraft. I got it on and cranked it over, and immediatly there was a loud knocking. An engine internal sounding knock. I started it when my dad was there and he heard it and threw a fit. He made me take it to the shop and have it looked at rather than me and my friends doing it. So as it turns out I dropped one of the screws from the throttle plates down the intake manifold I think.
Well I just got it back from the shop today, it is running BEATIFULLY. I am driving down the road, and decide to turn on my lights, the jeep completely shuts off. So I am stranded on the side of a highway during rushhour with no hazard lights. For an hour and a half no one would stop, then finally a nice old guy stopped and called the police for me. What is the deal, I saw several jeepers drive by and wave and keep on driving. I saw thousands of cars drive by many of them calling me a "f*cking idiot" and telling me to turn on my hazards. But no one would stop, and no one would call the police. How come when i am doing something wrong like going to fast, everyone jumps in line to call the cops on me. But when I am stopped on the side of the road, who cares? Nobody. What is wrong with society that no one is willing to help a kid who really needs it, but they sure love to get kids in trouble for things they do wrong. Finally a cop came and I tapped the solenoid and had him crank it over and got it running.
Well anyways back to the problem, anyone have a clue why my whole jeep would shut off when I try to put on the lights. All they messed with on my jeep was the carb as far as I know. It seems like a crossed wire or something. Anyone have any ideas?
Scrambled

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:16 PM
Old Hand

Re: One hell of a day!

Check your fuses. Do some basic troubleshooting, like figure out which circuits were and weren't working. Did every electrical component not work? or just your ignition?

Sounds like you have a good mechanic that got your engine running though.. good luck

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will check it over, the whole car went dead. Nothing would work.

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:02 AM
Official Historian

I would start with checking the battery cables and the connections on the starter solenoid. You might even replace the solenoid if the problem happens again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] For the four-hundreth time I will say this: YOUR THREE JEEPS ARE STRANGERS. You know the ones.......the engine and tranny group; the frame and axle group; and the tub and front fenders group. ESTABLISH A NETWORK OF GROUND CABLES, and you'll be amazed at how much better things work. Go direct to the starter, the alternator, the front tinware, the frame, the tub, and thefuel tank.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:10 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

car?

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The word "car" is actually the definition of a VEHICLE that is moved on wheels. "Automobile" (auto....as in self....mobile....as in moveable)is a term used for cars which are self-propelled, as opposed to something that just rolls like a boxcar for example. The word "Jeep" is a term that crazy people use to describe a portable black hole that you pour cash into, and when moved by driving, puts more miles on YOU than you put on it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode