Steering upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Steering upgrade

I have a CJ3a I am want to junk all the stock steering and replace with late model style steering. I would like to hear from those of you that have done this type of upgrade with opinions of what steering columns, steering boxes, etc. work the best and also what problems you have run into.
Thanks
Doug
50ish CJ3A, stock CJ7 springs, 33" tires, locker, even I'm surprised where this thing will go!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:06 PM
Old Hand

Re: Steering upgrade

GM steering, the short one like out of a Camero or similar. I just finished putting one in a J5 this last weekend for an old teacher of mine. they work slick. and get the colapsable steering shaft that goes to the box, in case of collision. Hope this helps

I make Half doors, for pics click here http://communities.msn.com/Grimjeepe...halfdoors.msnw
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Steering upgrade

I got a camero steering column. Used a 79 wagoneer steering box, which you might want to get a CJ one, because mine is insanely tight when turning, really really fast. You can order a kit from AA but that is $$$. My buddy did my conversion. Her took the cross member from an newer CJ frame and welded it on my old CJ5 frame. Then have to box the one side of the frame. I ordered the long tie rod from AA. Used the colapsable steering shaft from a CJ7. You will have to do alot of thinking and fab work, but it is worth it. So pretty much what we did was copy a later CJ7. Really isnt that difficult, but i dont have welding skills yet, so my friend did it for me.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode