Homemeade D30 YJ disconnect - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Homemeade D30 YJ disconnect

Hi all,
I searched for this in the archives, I know I've seen something like what I want to do, but couldn't find it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

What I want to do is totally get rid of the vacuum disconnect system on my YJ, and rather than get the whole $200 cable system, or even bother rigging up a home job, I don't mind getting out of the jeep to lock in the hubs, so I was thinking of how I can turn the vac disconnect into a manual hub.

Anyone know how this can be done? Take it apart and install a knob on the vacuum motor to pull and push the fork is all I want to do.

Thanks for any ideas,
Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Homemeade D30 YJ disconnect

You would have to crawl under each time you wanted to lock/unlock the front axle. Basiclly you would be doing the same amount of work as home rigging a cable from the cab and it would work better. Check out a tractor shop. They appearently have similar stuff. Or even go to a wrecker and grab a cable E-brake shifter like from an old Toyota.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:21 PM

Is that kind of setup as good as locking hubs on each wheel?
(getting out and doing it?)

Is it the whole system on a D30 thats Crap, or is it only the vaccum asspect of the setup?

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a vaccume switch, and use that. you can run that line from the tcase.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The D30 itself is not a bad axle, at least for me. With 4.10s, 33s, a 258 and the wheeling I do it's been fine for over 200,000 miles. Put on the 95+ axle shafts with the bigger ujoints, and find some way to get rid of using engine vacuum to energize 4WD, and it should be a good setup. I don't have a locker up front, so I could just leave the thing engaged all the time, but I don't see the point in having the additional wear and drag of the front end components all the time.

So, my plan is to somehow make a manual "hub" out of the vacuum disconnect. I plan on doing this tomorrow, and totally eliminating the vacuum system. Less stuff means less stuff to go wrong. Getting out and reaching behind the tire to manually engage it is really no big deal.

Thanks for the ideas,
Pete

"Don't fall into the traps laid by society" -- Henry Lee Summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode