Flywheel and clutch compatability - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Flywheel and clutch compatability

I have an '87 YJ with a 258 and the peugot garbage tranny. The tranny is shot and I've located an NV3550 with extremely low mileage for a great price. Anyway, the guy has all the parts for it including the flywheel and clutch. My question is, will the flywheel bolt up to my engine and if it will, will the clutch work or will i have to get a new one? The tranny is coming out of a 2001 TJ. Thanks again for all the help.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re: Flywheel and clutch compatability

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Flywheel and clutch compatability

The flywheel should bolt up. The 2001 flywheel may be thinner (Crank side of crank flange to clutch disc surface), so measure the thickness (from the crank to the clutch disk surface) of both flywheels and compare were the starter ring gears are on the flywheels. You also need to compare the starters as they will be different it the flywheels are not the same. I don't know the input spline count or diameter for the nv3550, but the peugot (push-go?)garbage tranny uses a 1 1/8 inch 10 spline clutch disk. If you can get it grab the metal plate that goes between the tranny and the block. The best thing is to just compare the two. I wasted a day and pulled and replaced my np435 because of bad info (from AA and a couple of other sources) on the proper combination of parts for the my clutch and it was only because I took a look at starters from an '83ish CJ and the 88YJ that I started asking questions about flywheel thickness. So ask all the questions, reask and then compare parts to find out for sure.

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode