Got a D44 Front today.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got a D44 Front today....

I made it to the local Pull-n-Save today and brought home a '76 Waggy Dana 44 axle w/ flat top knuckles for $70 total. I'm going to put it in my CJ, full width and SOA.

I understand that I'm going to have to outboard the springs on the frame rails, as well as grind the crap out of the passenger spring perch. Does know of a link for SOA and full-width Waggy axles on a CJ? All the ones that I have found have been for YJ's, saw one Scout D44 w/o pictures, and one Waggy D44 for a CJ had cut the axle down and didn't outboard the springs. I guess I just want to see some close up pictures and measurements. 2 inches outboard?

Also, if I can find Scout D44 outer axle shafts, I can use my D30 discs & hubs, correct?

Thanks for the help,

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body, 6.32 low Ford/Scout T-19, 2.46 low Scout/Ford/Jeep Dana 20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:28 AM
Old Hand

Re: Got a D44 Front today....

That's what I did. 2" worked great. $70 sounds great. I had to pay $250 (no u-pull-it had anything close). I got the steering linkage and spring plates to go with it. You will also have the right spindles to do the 5 on 5.5 conversion shown on JeepGod's site.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do a search. it has been disscussed alot on this board in the past.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So you found one there huh? That was me (CSP) on the Colorado board that recommended Pull-n-Save. You and I will have to get together and compare notes as I am slowly working on the same project. I took some digital pictures of some outbard mounts last Friday night and I would be glad to send them to you. These ones also incorporate a shackle reversal. Jeepgod's site has some info that may be useful to you.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:19 PM

Im in the middle of the same setup

ive posted pics of my outboard hangers a few times.

itll take some grindind to go SOA on the wag axle.

a littel less ginding to go SUA with teh same axle in a CJ

here are some pics, if you have any other questions feel free to ask, or email, whatever, Ill try to help!

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-534618-hang.JPG (82.6 KB, 2 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:42 PM
Ellis

I am doing the engineering to go SOA with Full Width Dana 44 on my flat fender. Please send me the photos of outboard mounts you mentioned.
Thanks, E. Camp

80 CJ5, 52M38 Always carry a BFH and a screwdriver.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ozark -

Do you have a picture of the rear hanger setup? The front one looks pretty good. Just 2 inches out, right?

Thanks,

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body, 6.32 low Ford/Scout T-19, 2.46 low Scout/Ford/Jeep Dana 20
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowtow -
I remember you posted that you were going to do this swap. I might have someone adjust the caster to compensate for the driveline angle a little more if I need to. I was told that there's someone in Denver that will cut and adjust the knuckles for $75.
I don't think I'm going to do the shackle reversal, though I have given it some thought. You're going to go high steering as well, right? Do you know if Avalanche still has the old $65 arms? I have a Chevy driver's side knuckle with the studs, so I just need to get the passenger side machined. It will probably be a while before I get everything set to do, probably another month or two. Just soaking in all the information I can get (as well as trying to come up w/ the money to further fund this).
Go ahead and send me those pictures of the mounts if you don't mind. [email protected]

Thanks,

-Jay
Denver, CO
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Max - That's exactly what I needed. Thanks a lot!

-Jay
Denver, CO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode