Dana 60 or Ford 9 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dana 60 or Ford 9

I have a large bearing ford 9 with 33 spline axles and a friend of mine wants to trade me for a dana 60 not sure on spline or if it is a floater. My ? is which would be better to have? I will probably never go larger than 35 or 36 inch tires any info will help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 08:40 PM

Re: Dana 60 or Ford 9

33 spline? I thought they wer 28 or 31, but I dont know much abotu 9" rears.

the 60 is stronger, and alot bigger, parts fo rhe 9" are more abundant.

it depends on whether you want built to the balls, or "might" break if I really stay on the stupid pedal.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is it going in? what gear ratios do each have? what are the widths? do you want to convert to 8 lug? these are all q's you need to answer. dana60's have thier place as well as ford 9's, d44's,etc. you need to figre out what will best suit your needs for your rig and the type wheeling you do.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I enjoy rock climbing and that is what I am building my jeep for. I have a cj-7 I plan on changing gears I will narrow the axle and have custom shafts made. When I have the shafts made I will have them made with 5 lug and convert to disc. My question is do I really need a 60 or will a 9 work? Type of wheeling well my nickname is madman or in czechoslovakian (ZLY) so in other words I love the stupid pedal and trying to find the weakeast link, without injuring myself and others of coarse

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:53 PM

does ZCMI mean anything in czechoslovakian?

just a shot in the dark..

if you have deep gears, a strong engine, and tires 35 or larger go 60

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

then get the 60 and make when you convert to 5lug put ford 9" housing ends on it and have a set of 35 spline semi floating shafts made for it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

are you sure its not a year

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:22 AM
Old Hand

I went with a 9 inch for a few reasons. I like that it has a removable third member (provides a lot of options). I went with the high pinion third member (currie) and you lose the benefit of a third pinion bearing at the nose and have a reverse cut 8.8 gear. The parts for ford 9 inch rears are pretty common. It is the platform used in many applications (hot rods, nascar, strip, etc). It is available in 35 spline 1.5" shafts. I went with the 31 spline shafts.

For me, it seems to be a good balance with the d44 front.

ZCMI may be other things too, but is a department store chain started by the Mormon church in the early days to provide wares to the people in Utah. I think it was called Zion's Central Mercantile Incorporated or something like that.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

high pinion 9"s have been known to be weak when used in the rear. there have been breakage problems. how does the drop out 3rd on the 9" provide alot of options? so you can carry a bunch of 3rd's around so you can swap for different ratios? that would work but who would want to go through the trouble and expense of doing that? ford 9's are popular and parts are pretty common but they are for the 60's too. please don't take this wrong because the 9" is a good rear end too but if he wants to bash it and isn't afraid of the skinny pedal i say 60. stronger gears, stronger housing and i'd say they are about = in the shaft department because of all the aftermarket shafts available and = in shafts in stock form too if you are talking 30spline 60 and 31 spline 9".

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddy has a ford 9" in the rear of his bronco (31 spline). He has 35x15.5 TSL SX, 400M engine, 4.56 with detroit in the 9".

He goes LARGE on the stupid petal sometimes, and we do alot of rockcrawling. The rear has held up flawlessly.

In fact I am first on the waiting list for the 9" when he parts out what is left of his bronco.

Jesse

<font color=red> GO BUCKEYES! </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode