Next question, Ring gear off the flywheel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Next question, Ring gear off the flywheel?

How do I get it off? I have heard stick it in the freezer overnight, is this the best way? Do I just beat it off with a bfh and a screwdriver or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:32 PM

Re: Next question, Ring gear off the flywheel?

drill a hole and then use a cold chisel itll come off.

or a grinder, just be careful not to get into teh flywheel

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Remember this is an interference fit.

Removal:

1. Use a hacksaw at the teeth trough of the ring gear and cut down to the flywheel. The split ring gear will easiy come off.
2. Remove the ring gear.

Re-assembly.

1. Put the flywheel in the freezer overnight (you don't have to have it cold this long...) so it assumes the freezers temp. This shrinks the flywheel.
2. Put the ring gear in the oven and turn it to 550* and let it assume the temp of the oven. The heat will expand the ring gear.

When you're ready, and do this quick...

3. Lay the cold flywheel flat on 2 2X4's,flange down.
4. Quickly remove the ring gear from the oven and drop it over the flywheel.

If you've done the job right, the ring gear is exapnded and the flywheel has contracted. The two pieces should easily fit together. When cool the interference fit will be preserved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:52 PM
sas87yj

why not $36 for rebuilt/faced wheel and new ring gear assembled and ready to install?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

where can I get it for that price the cheapest I have seem is almost $200

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just used a torch to heat up the ring gear, and it fell off. I put the flywheel bolts in so the face wouldn't get scratched, heated, and it slipped right off. I flipped the flywheel over, and put the ring gear back on with a little tapping. I did mine quick, but if the ring gear was going to be off a few days, I'd freeze the flywheel to shrink it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the same thing as nlafon. I heated the ring gear with a torch and it fell off will a little tapping from a hammer. The teeth were mostly worn on one side so i flipped it over and set it back on. This was done on my 77' 304 and it worked for two yrs until I sold it.

85'CJ, stock for now! It's a Jeep thing ...my wife doesn't understand.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 04:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Where I come from we LAUGH at them boahs what uses that new-fangled stuff like freezers to put on a new ring gear. All we done; and still do; was to take a piece of 3/4" X 3/4" keystock that we used fer driving and persuadin' stuff and then using a 24oz. VAUGHN ball-peen hammer[there IS no hammer BUT a VAughn] to drive the keystock we done tapped that sucker plumb clean right off. To go back on we set the flywheel narrow side up and warmed up the ring gear a little with the torch [gas hatchet]. We then flipped the ring gear onto the flywheel and gave it a little spin and that sucker siezed right up. NOW BE CAREFUL that you don't get the wrong side toward the starter. Sometimes they's some little ol' notches what helps the bendix drive disengage right quick and proper when that mill starts up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:55 PM

Wow, It would have taken me 4 or 5 times breaking it with a BFH to figure out that freezer/oven thing.

maybe we better recommend to use tongs when pulling the gear from the oven? I could see some hillbilly grabbin a peice of 550deg hot steel.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 09:17 PM
Addict

I pounded mine off with a BFH and a block 'o' wood. Heated the ring gear in the BBQ and picked it up and dropped it in place with 2 pairs of vice grips. Total time invested 15 minutes, 100% effective.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode