what do you folks know about 1 piece axels? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

what do you folks know about 1 piece axels?

Well I am gonna do it. I found the pass. axel shaft all jacked up and talking it over with the jeepchick, we are going to convert to the one-piece axels. I am sure many of you have done this, but I am looking for any tips you can offer to me.
is there anything in the pumkin that would make it difficult to just install the new shaft? I know that I will have to have the bearing pressed in, but where exactly does it get pressed into? on the shaft or in the axel tube?(i know stupid question)
are there any other tricks to doing this? thanks for the help, it is much apprecieted.
surveyboy

Jeeps and classic mustangs, what else is there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: what do you folks know about 1 piece axels?

Im glad (and you'll be too) that we talked you into this.. the bearing gets pressed onto the new axle shafts.. just take the whole kit over to a shop when you get it and they will press it together in the correct order. then it just bolts in where the old one was.. some times the old ones are a little hard to get out, but using the brake drum and a couple wheel studs as a slide hammer usually works.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:04 PM

also be sure to take you're brake backing plate with you it has to be on the shaft when the bearing is pressed on. Trust me it cost me an extra few $'s to learn that lesson.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:16 PM

Don't mix your parts up from right to left backing plates especially.Know how it is suppose to go on the axel and in what order in case the guy at the shop don't.I assembeled as much as I could onto the new axels in the order it was suppose to go on before I took them to the shop.getting those hubs off was a pain in the butt.I finally saw one of those hub pullers in a flea market the other day.I wound up having to use one of the old spacers when I reassembeled the axels

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did mine a few weeks ago and i a very happy that I did cause the drivers side hub fell off with finger preasure after I removed the nut. stupid design

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode