Which tires? (was: Pirelli tires) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Which tires? (was: Pirelli tires)

Does anyone run Pirelli Scorpian A/T's on a Jeep? I'm due for a new set of tires and did some shopping today. They're only $115 each for 33/12.50/15 and have a 40,000Mi warranty. I know a guy that's got a little bit smaller ones on a Zuk and I really like them - they're quiet and wear good on the road and do pretty good off-road, just wanted to get more opinions before I buy.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pirelli tires

Pirelli is replacing them with a new tire, the ST, because they had so many warranty issues with the AT. The AT's are loud, hard, and wear really unevenly. That, and they suck at traction, as well. If you want a 33x12.5 for that price, look at firestone, dunlop, or cooper for better tires.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:37 PM
sas87yj

DON'T do it!
spend a little more for some good shoes. get some BFG's or GOODYEAR's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I didn't realize buying tires would be this complicated [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Guess I'll go shopping again tomorrow. What about the firestone Wilderness A/T III? Does anybody run those? the seem to be fairly cheap with a good warranty (50K I think)
Someone mentioned GoodYear. What Goodyear tire should I be looking at? They have so many, it's really hard to pick one.
It's got BFG A/T's on there now, and I don't like them. There's about 1/8" of tread left and the still make a ton of noise and they're cracking really bad.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Wow, If BFG A/T's make too much noise for you then I don't know what to tell you. What do you mainly use your Jeep for? What type of off roading do you do? Generally, the higher a mileage warranty a tire has, the harder it is, meaning it will probably handle a bit worse in the rain. I've used BFG A/T's on everything I've owned as daily driver/all around tires and I've loved them. I have my first set of BFG Mud Terrains on my CJ and cant wait to test them out!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Which tires? (was: Pirelli tires)

I think the noise is due to the fact that it's way out of alignment and either the caster or camber is off (forget which is which) and the tires are worn really weird. But seriously - they're louder than a lot of mud tires. if it's usually a quiet tire - it's probably related to something else. What really concerns me is the number of cracks (not just in the tread- in the sidewalls too). Anyone else had them crack?

What do I use my Jeep for? It's not a daily driver - but it does spend a lot of time on the road. It's not a trailer queen - it gets driven to the trails and I drive it to work at least once a week. Most of my wheelin' is in the mountains - mostly rocks & stream crossing and stuff.

I guess the real question is What can I get for less than $150 that well perform well off road, and not wear out real fast on the road?
Maybe I'm asking for too much and need to spend a little more cash. What do you guys think?

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 07:32 AM
sas87yj

Re: Which tires? (was: Pirelli tires)

well you should spend your max budget of $150 and get the BFG MT's or a little more and get the GOODYEAR MTR's. they are both noisy of course but then hey you are off-roading! if your alignment is ON, they will wear even. i had some 235 firestone ATX when i bought mine, then they were re-called and i went to 30" goodyear AT's and now have 32" goodyear MTR's. well no i'm not done yet! i'm sure 35's are in the cards. i've got 6000 miles on the mtr's and wear great. hey a good HOWL on the highway is MUSIC to my ears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 08:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The BFG A/T's really are a quiet tire (comparitavely) and should do well for the mix of driving you do. The cracks are due to age and/or too much heat. If your alignment is way out of whach, then there is where the heat came from. How old are the tires? I've worn them out in 40,000 miles/ 3-4 years, and they just started developing cracks between the tread blocks (small ones are common). Good luck in your decision!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

BFG ATs are a good tire...but they do seem to be prone to wearing really unevenly, even when alignment and balancing problems are only slight. If you really want a quiet tire that will be nice on road, have a 50K warranty, will wear even, and will not be totally helpless off-road, I'd suggest taking a look at the Michelin XCX APT. Try a Sears somewhere around you...when they go on sale, they're very reasonable. They wear like iron, are very quiet, have good traction (not as good off-road as a BFG AT, but better on-road), and are a good all-around durable tire.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:16 PM
Can't Get Enough

I know there are some Cooper tire people on this board, but this past weekend I heard some comments from a guy that manages a string of tire stores. They no longer handle Cooper tires. They have hardly ever seen a set wear out. They usually replace them way before there time due to broken body cords making the tires unbalencable. We never discussed any specific style or size of tire, he just claimed they broke apart in the carcas and would not balance.

This is just for information, use it as you like!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode