Multiple clutch and tranny rebuild questions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Multiple clutch and tranny rebuild questions?

Ok fellas, I have my cj in about 100 peices and I currently am waiting on the t-4 to finish getting rebuilt. I know the opinions of the t-4 but this is my daily driver and the t-4 lasted 16 yrs and 174k mi before crapping out so I figured I would stick with it since it was what came in the jeep.
QUESTIONS?
1) The ring gear on the flywheel periodically around the edge has the edge closest to the starter is slightly "grooved"(for lack of a better word) Is the supposed to be like that to make it easier for the starter to disengauge?
2) pilot bushing I have read through a search about the grease method for removing it, does it really work? or is it easier to rent a slide hammer from the zone.
3) are there any jeepers in metro atlanta that want to help put it back in for all the beer and hot wings/pizza you can take?

I wish I had a digicam so I could take pictures of all this stuff. You guys are the bread and butter of this operation. Other than keeping the t-4 I have always followed directions (e.g. axle replacement and clutch recommendations)received here like the bible so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I even ordered my clutch from dial-a-clutch and let me tell you that was one of the best decisions I have ever made. They had the clutch in a ups truck within 2 hrs. how's that for service.

Thanks to everyone who has helped in the past and future I hope to be able to have my cj one day as a play thing and not as transportation to work.

Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Multiple clutch and tranny rebuild questions?

ttt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Rather than splatter grease all over the place and all over me, my favorite method to use when removing the pilot brg is to take a 3/8" bolt that is threaded all the way. Some 3/8" carriage bolts are that way. Grind the head off on one side so the bolt now looks like an eagle in profile. In other words, it has a hooked appearance. Insert the bolt into the brg and drive a small wooden wedge alongside opposite the hook. Slide a socket over the bolt, then a washer, then a nut. Draw the brg out with the bolt and nut. Then place the modified bolt in the misc. drawer of your tool box.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:47 PM
sas87yj

CJDAVE-
sounds like a GRANDE idea on the bolt method to pull out the pilot bearing! i used the grease method which did eventually work after several attempts. and yes it can be messy! i would try the bolt method FIRST doberman. the ring gear should be replaced and flywheel re-faced. i got a rebuilt flywheel and new ring gear for $36 at a local parts house. the ring gear is messed up if teeth are worn.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks fellas I can always count on you guys for info not found in the books.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode