Are heims for steering DOT street legal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Are heims for steering DOT street legal?

I've heard both ways. MORE says their steering correction kit that uses heim joints is DOT legal. I've seen other post to the contrary. Where is the truth? I need to keep street legal for a while.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Are heims for steering DOT street legal?

I couldnt say if it legal or not, just make sure it is safe. I really dont think you will get pulled over for having Heim joints on a jeep. Chances are nobody will ever notice. Just be nice to the people who pull you over, so they dont start looking for things to ticket you for. And like i said, just make sure it is safe.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 04:12 PM
Leigh_Smith

I don't want to be a party pooper and I'm not sure of this myself and I think we are all guilty but I would think any modification on steering would have to be inspected by an engineer. I have heard of guys having trouble at vehicle inspections with steering box braces. They were told a properly working system needs no additions.
I think I would take it off and invite the inspector for a cruise in my cj at 60 mph and see if he still feels that way!!

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 07:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i was told in jersey that they are not legal. Then agian soa's, on jeeps, are not supposed to be legal. But now i hear they will inspect them if they are done right. My question is what makes it done right, because the welds look pretty. I have been trying to find the laws on lifted trucks but nobody seems to be able to point me in the right direction. I even went to a cop i know and he said he doesnt have clue what is legal and were he would look for it. Damn i love jersey.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

My main concern is really weather it will pass VA safety inspection. Does anybody from here lives in VA who done the D44 cross over or high steering inspected their rig? Did it pass?

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 04:04 PM

Pontiac...I think the main reasons SOA would be illegal here in jersey is because we are only allowed 9" of total lift(lift+tire) and a spring over is 5+" to begin with. The person who supplied my trans and transfer failed inspection because his truck was 1/8" too high at the rear bumper. Filling the gas tank and going back got it through inspection but it shouldn't have been needed. The inspectors at the station don't know their a$$es from their elbows. The best place to look for info about inspections in any state would be the D.M.V. They usualy(but not always) have a rule book for distribution.

5.0s and 4 speed = lots of broken parts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode