Tranny Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Swap

I know this has probably been discussed ad naseum before, but I haven't been able to find an answer or the right info doing a search. My ba/10 is struggling and I want to convert to an auto tranny. I also need to be as frugal about this as possible since I have 3 daughters vying for my disposable income. I'm thinking the th350? Any advice? I'm fairly mechanical but have no access yet to a welder if that helps.

donnerparty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Swap

I know nothing about swapping in a turbo 350, but my CJ has a chrysler 999 in it from the factory. As I understand it, it is the same transmission that came as an option on YJ's. Might be the easiest way to go. The trans has a pretty good reputation behind the 6 cylinder and is suppose to handle mild V-8 power too. Just a thought.

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Jeepfinder, I'll check that out!

donnerparty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

Try a TF727. It has the same case length as a 999 but it is a lot stouter. It came in '80s jeep pickups and dodge trucks. There was a write up on that on the Off-road home page somewhere. I think there is some clearence problems with your rear driveshaft if your jeep isn't lifted at least 3 inches. If you want, I have a 999 and a t350 for sale! I found a 727 in the local junkyard and I want to swap out my 999, but I don't have the funds. Need to sell the old one first!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Tippy, I'll research that also. I'm not ready to do this yet, but I wanted to know what to look at so I'll be ready when this peugot dies or i have the money together, hopefully sooner. What kind of money do they want for the TF727?

donnerparty
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For the 727(real stout auto tranny, lived behind the Chrysler Hemi engines) you will want the one out of the jeep. The Jeep one has the correct bellhousing pattern, otherwise the same as the ones behind Dodge and Chrysler, cars and trucks. In fact, find one out of an '80's Grand Waggoner and it should go between your 258 and NP231 without adapters. You will have to get a new shifer, I suggest the B&M Mega Shifter-Truck version(it is a little taller and easier to reach). Also a new kickdown linkage and possibly a new tranny oil dipstick, all of which are available from Lokar(sp?-sorry CJDave[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). You should be able to reuse the torque converter, they are hard to burn up in these.

You will probably have some problems finding the right flex plate. I have heard of people gettin the V8 version(again...found in the GW) and getting them reballanced for the 258.

You actually have to worry about the front driveshaft clearing the tranny pan, not the rear driveshaft, but you have a 4" lift and shouldn't have any problems there(but will need to check first). Should be easy and the best part...cheap.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Forgot one thing. You will need to find a 23 spline input shaft(easy) for the NP231. Just find a burnt up x-fer from a I-6 mid '90 and up(there are some early '90 year model YJ's that have the BA-10, and there for the wrong 21 spline tranny input). Just get one from behind an AX-15.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks YJason, That sounds like the route to take. Well, time to hit the junkyards. It just doesn't get any better than this!!

donnerparty
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 03:18 PM
89yjsahara

tippy, what kind of shape is your 999 in, Im interested in buying it if you want to do a 727 conversion. Let me know.
Scott <><

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 6" of lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 15x8 AR 767's! http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 04:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's in pretty fair shape. I have had no prbolems with it and I've owned it for two years. It has about 130k on it, but doesn't loose any fluid or shift hard. It could use a powerwashing from all the oil that leaks from my motor!

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode