Heater motor won't work! Ahhhhhhhhh! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Heater motor won\'t work! Ahhhhhhhhh!

I hate electrical problems! Now after testing systems, my heater motor won't work. The motor itself is grounded through a seperate wire that I ran to the dash (checked motor housing to neg. batt. terminal...0 ohms) When I put a volt meter on the hot wire to the motor and grounded it...POP went the fuse! grrrrrrrr. Checked for short/open in resistor bank...fine. Motor won't work on ANY setting including high. BTW, it's a new GM blower motor and I bench tested before putting that mess in the firewall.
For those of you not familiar...83 CJ-7, glass tub, new everything.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:12 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Heater motor won\'t work! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Mike, pull off the 12 volt lead to the heater motor. Take a jumper wire from the postitive terminal of the batter and touch it to the motor. IF the motor spins up, it's good. If not, it's bad.

Now do the same for the fan control switch.

Check out those little resistors on the passengers side vent... their the "speed control" for the heater fan.

Now with the fan swtiched to "Hi" just start at the blower motor connector and start following your way back to the fuse block harness, into the dash, through the harness to the speed control to the supply voltage. Where you pick up 12 volts is where the circuit is good.... go ahead again one step to confirm you've lost the voltage... that device is wired wrong, or bad.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I ran a hot wire from the battery to the blower motor...it works! It's too late tonight to start tearing into the dash so I'll work on it tomorrow. Does the fan switch need to be grounded? The wiring schematic doesen't show it being grounded...naw, it couldn't be that easy! The resistor bank has been tested and is good. Even if that were bad or unplugged it would work on "Hi Speed" 'cause that bypasses the resistors altogether.The worst part is...all of this stuff worked BEFORE I tore it apart. Did I mention I hate electrical problems?

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 08:39 AM
Way Outta Control

The fan speed control swtich does not need to be grounded. IMHO the problem will be in the connector to the switch, or the in the fuse block where the voltage is passed from behind the dash to through the firewall. Think of the electric flow as water in a garden hose... just follow the water. Where it stops is the dam... or the damn problem! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode