How friendly are Phoenix and AZ to off-roaders? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How friendly are Phoenix and AZ to off-roaders?

I'm planning to move to Arizona soon (from Massachusetts), and expect to be in or near Phoenix. Would Phoenix be a bad move as far as emissions and other regulations might go? I thought I'd heard that that is the only city in AZ that does emissions tests, but I may not be remembering correctly.

Fwiw I drove a friend's Cherokee while I was down there and didn't see _any_ inspection sticker on his windshield. Do they even do inspections there?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How friendly are Phoenix and AZ to off-roaders?

Phoenix has some bad air quality problems, yes they do emissions test, most everywhere in AZ.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in Tucson, Az.....we have to do emissions here.....Not all that restrictive...what exactly do you want to know about wonderful Az...besides that it is hot as heck in the summer and perfect in the winter........they do have inspection once a year to renew your tags...you don't have a sticker on your car to prove it though. They do the inspection at the MVD when you are updating your tags.....

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:22 AM

HAHAHA! I laugh at you all.

Up here in BC CANADA there are very few places where you need to get "AirCare" tested.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:51 AM
sas87yj

you will get tested once a year when tags are up. required by the state and you take car to a contracted station. for around $5 they check visually first for tampering of any smog jazz missing or altered and look under for catalitic converter. then they stick the wand up your exhaust and test at idle and then on the rollers you speed up for fast idle test. DON'T let it scare ya and come on over to the dez! we all seem to pass it somehow! you can "dummy-up" smog stuff CARREFULLY and slip by.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to live in Prescott about a year and a half ago at that time they didn't have emission testing there.It was a very nice place with lots of trails around,but it is a little small about 28,000 people in the town and about 100,000 in the county,it's approxamately 100 miles from Phoenix.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the key is to find a rural area that isn't testing. Before we moved to NM 5 years ago we lived in Safford in SE AZ, the population of the whole county was under 30,000, the wheeling was awesome, and no emissions testing. About 130 miles from Tucson, 175 from Phoenix at the foot of the 3rd tallest mountain in the state, Mt. Graham at just a little under 11K ft..

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode