Need help with Tranny options for an '87 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Need help with Tranny options for an \'87 YJ

I was recently in an accident with my '87 YJ. I got hit in the front corner and the frame shifted a bit and I quickly discovered that the tranny was stuck in third gear. The collision guy thought that he would straighten the frame a bit and that would eleviate some pressure and he would be able to get it out. Turns out he can't. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? BTW, It is a Peugot BA 10/5. It was actually in pretty good shape too before the accident. Well, if the tranny is shot, what would you guys suggest as a replacement. I have an NP231 Transfer case and a 4.2L 258. Someone I was speaking to suggested a T18 and another guy suggested an AX 15. I would like to get into doing some offroading. I just got a 2.5" RE Extreme Duty lift and have 32" BFG ATs. So, i want something relatively heavy duty but I also use it on highways, so I want something that would be good for that too. Of course money is also an issue, otherwise I would just go with an NV4500. Would the T18 or AX15 be a direct bolt in or would I need adapters? Thanks a lot in advance and if you have any questions or i was unclear on anything please email me at [email protected].

Donny

Also, I am in NY. Does anyone locally have a tranny that they can sell me and want to have some pity on me and give me a good price for it?
1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Howell Fuel Injection1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 01:33 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Need help with Tranny options for an \'87 YJ

I'm not sure what is involved in installing a t-18, but the ax-15 is as close as you can get to a bolt in trans. The transfer case input gear will have to be switched fron the 21 spline short to a 23 spline short, and you need the ax-15 bellhousing, clutch slave cylinder etc. I'm not sure if you have the thinner flywheel in the 87 or not, so if you get the ax-15 check the flywheel thickness for the ax-15 and use a flywheel of the same thickness. I just did an np-435 swap replacing the peugot ba 10/5. If you can live without overdrive and want strength this is a great option and after it was all said and done the np 435 swap cost was about the same as me buying a ba 10/5 (although I found a killer deal on one that has never been bolted in) or an ax-15.

They that can give up essential
liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode