Making Your own winch mount? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Making Your own winch mount?

How hard would it be, it seems like you could just get a big piece of angle iron and cut it down to size. I have never really looked at a winch up close to see how it would work, do they just bolt on the bottom or are there holes that it attches to on the front or back? Would even just a piece of 1/4" plate do the job? This would be on the front of my TJ, I'm looking for simple and cheep since I will be broke or pretty close to it if I get a winch and won't have to $150 for an "offical" warn mount. I would probably have to attach it to a hole farther back in the frame besides the 2 bumper bolts. There isn't a lot of room w/ the stock sway bar still in place would i have to raise the winch up to get it to clear? I think I might be able to bolt it under the sway bar.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Making Your own winch mount?

i just built a winch mount/bumper for my m8274 out of 5x5 angle iron. i added alitlle more to the upright for the winch but it turned out nice. i got the angle free i just had to cut and weld. use your imagination and figure something out.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I agree, I made the one on the Zuki from some angle iron as well, 1/4" stuff, and it works well. No problem making your own, go for it, just make it sturdy. Different winches bolt on differently, my Ramsey mounts from the bottom, with only 4 bolts, but I have seen some Warn ones bolt in from the top.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I pretty much have a drill and a hack saw and could prbably throw and abrazive blad on out table saw, that's about how limited my resources are. I can get access to a welder if i need to but would rather make it as simple as posable. Would just steel plate work?

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi,
If you decide to "make" your own mount just go to a welding shop and ask them to bend a piece of either 1/4 or 5/8 maybe even cut the hole for the roller then you can make a cardboard template for the holes and drill them out yourself or if the welding shop is also a fabricating shop they can drill and cut everything for you it's a lot cheaper. Check your box and see if you got a diagram with the instruction manual for a home made plate! I did!

'97 TJ 4.0, 5spd., 33's, 4.10's, Ox-D30 custom skid and tire-carrier/tool-box
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:52 PM

On that not with the cardborad template, go down to the local 4wd place, grab one of their mounts, when noone is looking sketch it onto the cardboard take it home, clean it up, then give it to the local metal working place and ask them to build it for you.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode