Fordyce, Kicked Butt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Fordyce, Kicked Butt

I have to say this 3 day weekend was one of the best trips Ive had in a long time.
I stayed at the Pirates of the Rubicon camp. We had a great time. However the club rivalry between POR and TIN BENDERS(the club I belong too), meant that there top drivers, were more than willing to "school me" at every oppurtunity.
We spent 3 days climbing the unclimbable, and breaking the unbreakable(my NP 435 was snapped in half at the rear of the housing).
Well, lots of work to do to the rig, over the next few weeks until the Hammer Trails Pilgrimige on October.
I will be trying to swap in a Corporate 14 rear axle, D60 front axle, and replace my tranny, over the next few weeks.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:02 PM

Re: Fordyce, Kicked Butt

Yeah, I hear you Jeff. Your pics over on the POR General board were pretty cool. Rumor has it you were even skooled by a lady (of which there is a most pleasing picture your JeepChick captured for us all).

So what type of tranny are you looking to swap in? Do I hear NV4500 with the HD diesel input shaft?

I would also be interested to hear what donor vehicles you're using for your axles and any advice you have on the swap. This is ultimately the setup I want to roll with on my drive-line (the axles are still my weak point and probably be for the next year or so).

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, its true they even had one of their women kick my ass. She was driving Lance's rig, and was just gettin it awn. It was fun to watch her tearing it up. She should do well in the Womens Rock Crawling Event at the end of this month.
I am staying with the NP435, I just need to swap my parts into another housing. The break was just caused by lack of rearward travel at the front drive shaft, when I came down off a rock, very hard onto the front diff on another rock. It caused the Atlas to snap rearward and just fractured the rear of tranny housing. Ill pull it out, over the next couple of nights, and take pics. Ill post details on the axle swaps durring the next few weeks.
Here are a few pics of the weekend.
Bob Roggy in his ARCA rig

Here is a shot of the girl (Kelly) kickin my(and everyone else except Bob Roggys) butt

Jeff
89 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:04 PM

you sure tear it up good, i'm envious,
broke a 435 case damn.......... that sure says something about the "Atlas" also. if you can't get a case local, i'm sure i can get you one kind of cheap and ship it ups.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Greg,
There are some very good junk yards around here. I found a few of them at a fair price today. One yard will sell me a complete tranny in good shape, as a core(no warranty), for $100.
I also sliced a tire clean through, after dropping about 6' off of a dropoff at the end of about a 15' sideways slide down slickrock (that one got my attention), Everything else worked great all weekend, and I was pushing everything very hard, non stop. I had actually planned on using most of my spare axle assemblies this weekend, but never snapped a single shaft, or joint.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dana60 and a 14bolt?!?!?! what? everyone keeps saying that d44's are enough. i guess you are just getting on the dana60 band wagon.lol! they just don't understand. take pic's of the progress. are you going full width or what?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:07 PM

Very cool Jeff. I guess they wern't kidding when the said "Kelly kicks ass".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That is harsh when you snap a 435. Thanks for the pics.
Soooooo how hard DID lance ride you?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Turn the wheels in the head before the gears in the jaw
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Dirt Dog,
She beat Lance too, so that eased my pain a bit.
Her reign of terror ended, when on another course later in the day on Sunday, she simutaineously snapped both front U joints. I didnt see how it happened though, cause I was swapping a tire.
The digital camera died, just after the photos that I posted, but Kathy got a couple rolls on film that I havent seen yet. If there are any real stand out shots, Ill post em.

Jeff
89 YJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:22 AM

High5,

You OBVIOUSLY are not up on the Pirate/TinBender lore! It's all about 60's, 60's, 60's!!! And the only thing I know that beats a 60 is a 14 bolt. Hell, even we break 44's around here on a regular basis, and there's nothing like Rubicon/Fordyce. Somebody is yanking your chain man. Not to be offensive, but stop reading the mags and look at what the guys who are getting it awn and breaking stuff are running, I think it's a telling story.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bluesman,
I think you misunderstood high5's post. It was meant as a joke to H8monday, not criticism. Look at his (high5's) signature and you'll notice that he has a 60 front and 14 bolt rear and he's a regular on the Pirate board as well.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode