D30 High Steering Setups? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D30 High Steering Setups?

Is it possible to run a high steer setup on a D30? Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Re: D30 High Steering Setups?

There are two companies that make kits for the D30. MORE http://www.mountainoffroad.com makes a complete kit that includes a bracket that bolts onto the knuckle that raises the draglink attachment point above the springs. It also comes with HD tierod and draglink, heim joints and assorted hardware. A trackbar relocating bracket is also available as well and everything can be purchased separately if desired. This kit only works with the YJ D30 as it is a custom piece. Some machining, drilling and tapping is required. I just got this kit and will be installing it in the next few weeks.
The other kit is by Full Traction, http://www.full-traction.com. This is a fully bolt on kit and is available for the CJ and the TJ also. However, this is a pendulum design and upon looking at it it seems that you'll loose some power on the steering because the way the arms work. You'll see when you'll look at the picture. But I guess it could still work. At least this is a design that let's you put everything back the way it was if you don't like it, not that I need it. I also feel that the extra linkages could introduce more play in the system after some wear.
They both go for around $500. I got mine because I already had some money in the locker and gears for my D30 and it's the stronger reverse cut design that should be ok with the 33-35s that I'm running with '95 YJ shafts. They want $400 for a D44 around here and I'd still need gears, locker, knuckles, arms, perches, brakes and it adds up quick.
Btw, did you guys go wheeling to the PA border on LD? How was it?

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes it is. You swap the Dana 30 knuckles out for flat top Dana 44 knuckles. Everything you pull off of the old knuckles will bolt on to the new.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:49 PM
Veteran

Darn, I totally forgot about that! Yeah, that makes it a whole lot simpler and cheaper.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A flat top D44? What vehicle does this come out of? And what would I have to do once I put the knuckles on? Does anybody have pictures or a write up? Thanks.

Oh - and where do I buy the arms or is there a pattern that I can find to make some. Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:55 PM

The only problem that I can forsee with that is that the D44 knuckles are longer, there for you will need to modify the length of your steering linkage - now's the time to go to bigger rod ends and heavier linkage!

PS - I built my bulletproof linkage on a CJ-7 with a D44 front end and D30 knuckles using 1 1/8" solid bar stock. I machined the ends to accept heavy duty tie rod ends. This will not break, even under the most severe conditions (front locker, 36" Swampers, and AGR steering box and pump).

Good luck!

85 CJ-7 258/T176/D300 Scout D44s F&R with Lock-Rites and 4.56 gears. 4" springs with lift shackles 36" SS TSL Radials Hella Rallye 4000s for guiding small planes into the woods
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:45 PM
Veteran

Here is where I got my setup for my 44 front axle:

http://www.jeepxtremes.com/high_clea...ng_systems.htm

It was cheaper than avalance or others for a total kit, but was not cheaper than buying the arms from Parts mike & hunting down the rest of the stuff. But, they made all my stuff custom lengths & I got it in less than 5 days.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do they sell just the brackets? I can make the tie rods and stuff but I am trying to find out about the brackets. Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:38 PM
Old Hand

Jersey,

I have a set of d44 flat top knuckles I am looking to get $60 for (this is what i paid) plus shipping. They need to be drilled/tapped to bolt the hi-steer arms to them and they are ready to swap over.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jersey,
There are a hundred posts if there is one about high clearance steering on the Pirates of the Rubicon website. http://www.pirate4x4.com Go to either the Jeep page or the general 4x4 page and do a search on high steer. Don't ask about it before you do a search or you will be virtual bitch-slapped.

AllLockedUp,
The longer arm is not an issue when using these knuckles because in a high steer conversion the arms are not used. A steering arm with the proper geometry is used which bolts to the top of the knuckle.

'75 CJ5 with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode