Am I getting SCR@# on my gear install?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I getting [email protected]#$D on my gear install??

Just called the shop that is installing my gears, I was supposed to be able to pick up my axles tonight. The guy tells me that they have three hours in the rear and that is just in cleaning the parts, they havent even started the install yet, and HAVENT TOUCHED THE FRONT AXLE YET!!!!!!!!!!!! How can it take three hours to clean the rear (BTW they quoted me three hours to do the whole job. He said that everything was really gunked up and it took a long time to clean everything. Clean WHAT?? Nothing is being reused in the rear but the bearing caps, new bearings, gears, and a spool, how can it take three hours to clean two bearing caps and the inside of the diff. Then he tells me that the axle seals werent the right ones, well when we talked last week and I made the appointment I told him that the kit didnt even have axle seals and that he would need to get them in, now he says since the kit had the wrong ones it will take until this afternoon to get the right ones, why didnt he order them ahead of time since I told him I needed them. I think I am getting jerked around here, what do you guys think?

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Am I getting [email protected]#$D on my gear install??

I just had gears done to my cj by a friend. I had to clean out the tubes and remove everything. I won't say that it took me 3 hours to clean it but i did spend a lot of time to make sure it was completely clean. My axles were full of crud and dirt cause the seals were shot. I probably spent maybe an hour on each the front and rear just cleaning. My .02 cents.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:23 PM
Veteran

What are they charging an hour?

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are charging $35 an hour. I also forgot to mention that I have the axle shafts pulled out of both which means they had nothing to do but pull the cover off too start working on the gears and that the axles are out of a street driven Waggy, the seals were good yet and the axles shafts werent all cruded up when I pulled them out. Thats why I am sckeptical, maybe its just because I hate having work done at a shop but I feel like they are trying to pull one over on me.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if ytou got quoted for 3 hrs... you should pay for 3
hours.. now there are times that this isnt true.. like he pulled it apart and the carrier bearing was welded to the housing... but thats not the case here. if it took him that long to clean the parts, his shop obviously isnt fitted to do this kind of work and you shouldnt have to pay for extra time because he doesnt have the right tools.

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Elusive,

He told me two to three hours and that was before I told him that I would pull the brakes and the axle shafts before I dropped off the axles, so with that extra time saved it should have been at the low end of the estimate if not lower. Now I am sure that they will say it took at least 2 hours to install the gears, thats 5 hours. I would like to say that 3/4TonYJ offered to install them for me and I am wishing at this point that I would have cancelled my trip to Tellico and let him do it when he had the time. I know that he knows what he is doing and it would have been less of a headached and he probably would have done a better job. As for the shop not being outfitted to do this, it is a fairly well known 4WD shop so they should be, I am not going to mention any names yet until I see how this all pans out, but if I end up getting the shaft on this I will definitely let all you PA people know who it is as well as all the members of my club. I'll let you all know how I make out.

Kris

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:05 PM
Way Outta Control

Well, if you ain't willing, or can't do the job yourself... you're at the mercy of the mechanic who's got overhead and mouths to feed. If you suspect he's padding the bill, talk it over with him. You'll know real quick if he's angry because he can't justify his bill to you're satisifaction or he just wants to blow you off. Either way, then yes, you're gettin' the dirty end of the stick... otherwise... nope... you're not.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have a written estamate? what are the laws in your area concerning how far off an estimate can be? If you don't have a written estamate your screwed, if you do look into the laws in your area before you talk to the shop again.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$35/hour??? You are lucky! Even if he took three hours to do it you still spend less than I would have to. The hourly rate here in Tucson, Az is $65/hour from just about any shop. But...in any case...I say if they gave you a quote of 3 hours, thats what it should be. If it is for something like cleaning, they can't prove it and that is downright bad business. They could have had it dunked in a hot tank and it would have cleaned it right up. Just plop it in, let sit for an hour or so....voila! all clean....if they don't fix your problem with quotes, take business elsewhere next time for sure.....

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 07:53 PM

it's a pain cleaning the tubes and housings sometimes, and anyone who cares and wants everything to last a long time knows it must be very clean, dirt kills bearings and if they go everything else will follow. we have a hot tank (and sometimes take housings to the carwash first) but 3 hours seems alittle long. but like i said i do, i might say 4 hours knowing it might take 5 or 6 (but only charge for 4). also i thought your quote was pretty low, but then again if a shops not booked for weeks ahead and need business prices can drop. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hopefully they will be done tomorrow and all will end good.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode