Stuck Valve? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stuck Valve?

My engine runs great on 5 cylinders... I went wheeling and drove it hard on the freeway for an hour and a half (3000 RPM) Had lots of fun wheeling for a couple of hours then had power steering problems and parked it for a couple of hours. When it was time to leave, I started it up and it ran perfect. Drove on some mountain roads at low speeds and low RPM to a gas station (20 miles). Put gas in the jeep and when I started it there was a loud rhythmic poping.

Here is what I think and have tried. I think the number 2 cylinder has a stuck intake valve. When I have the spark plug wire on and run the engine it pops everytime the number 2 cylinder fires (with no spark plug wire on it runs perfect on all 5 cylinders). At higher RPM (1500) the poping is really loud, and seems to disrupt the gas flow to the other cylinders. Sometimes the poping is powerful enough to come up through the carb. So, I think I have an intake valve stuck open or burned. I have run Auto trans fluid through the carb, I have changed the oil and run it with a mixture of oil and auto trans fluid. I have changed the oil and run it with an oil additive that is suppose to clean valves. Nothing has worked. I can look in the oil filler cap and see that valve going up and down. The engine has 170,000 miles. Any ideas to unstuck the valve (if it is stuck). I guess if it is burned up, then I need a rebuild.

Thanks for the help.

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:33 PM

Re: Stuck Valve?

just out of curiosity, did you try swapping out the sparkplug? did you look inside the cap for arcing?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Run a compression check on all six clyinders.If the rocker is moving up&down the same as the others, that takes away the thought of a flat cam..Which leaves a burnt valve...Least thats what I think..

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:34 PM

Mine did someting similiar, and it turned out to be a pushrod had somehow slipped out from under the rocker arm. I put it back together, and it hasn't happened again, over a year later.

Bob in Ma.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like you have a broken valve spring on the intake , I would not fool around with it , ever time you reve it up u are pounding the intake seat to death , next thing that will happen the valve will brake at the head or the valve keys will fail.And u will be replacing the head and piston ,thats on the cheap side . Good luck!!

have a cold one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode