OT--MERCURY MARINE OUTBOARDS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT--MERCURY MARINE OUTBOARDS

I have a new 200 hp mercury outboard. yesterday i started it ran it idle for about 50 yards to clear the no wake zone and then started speeding up quickly to about top speed. Within 400-500 yards it made a terrible noise and quit and wont start. It has done this once before in the same manner but didn't make the noise--it just quit. This time it sounded really bad! Is it ok to start it - go past the no wake zone and then quickly get to top speed? It is oil injected. Not fuel injected.
It has had a history of all summer (first summer) idling rough, or not idling at all and very hard to start!

89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT--MERCURY MARINE OUTBOARDS

Did it sieze?
Larger displacement water cooled 2-stroke engines have trouble with "cold sieze", where the pistons expand faster than the bore causing the engine to sieze if not properly warmed up before being worked hard. 50 yds isn't enough. This is a common occurance with snowmobile engines. You shouldn't work it that hard if it isn't warmed up enough. You may have bent a rod or toasted a wrist pin or bearing if it made bad noise. It may crank again once it is cooled off but it likely is damaged.

If everything else is ok:

Are the plugs oil fouled? You may have had trouble with the oil injectors injecting too much oil. I would check the compression in any case.

I would have a Mercury tech look it over. Outboard engines are a lot more complex than they look.
I hope you didn't kill it.
-Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't know that about the cold seize. That makes sense because a week before this incident I did the same thing. Started it -- idled for a minute and then started cruising and the motor just quit. Let it sit a minute--started it and it ran high idle ok but low idle it sounded rough. I figured it was the plugs being fouled. But anyway, it's at the dealership now. I just dread them working on/repairing/rebuilding the merc 200. I'd rather them replace it! Or if they could bore it out, modify the jets, make it scream! Then well maybe ok.

89YJ-350V8,35" SSR's, EFI,revolvers,shackle reversal,SYE,cv shaft, 4.11,locked front D30, rocklock,8.8,2"body, TJ flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 10:56 PM

we had a 140 murcrusier and stored it for the winter beside our house, we treated the engine before hand. went to pull it out and just run it in the yard. seized soild!! time for a rebuild, din't get to us it once this year.

Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Found out from the dealer that I threw a rod. So now they're putting in a new block. Does anyone know how much an extended warranty costs and how long it lasts? Is it worth it? I'm thinking it would be worth it now after having these troubles.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know how you would get an extended warranty, but I would do it if it is cheap enough. Ask the shop if they will warranty their new block. Bummer about the rod throw, it sounds like the cold sieze was what caused it. I would be really careful about how I warmed it up from now on.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode