POR-15 or ?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

POR-15 or ??????

So I've decided to put down the Herculiner but first I need to tend to some rust. Anybody here used POR-15? Is there something comparable or cheaper? Can you buy it locally or do you have to order thru them? Yada yada yada.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Thanks!

Greg - 85 CJ7, 258, Nutter Bypass, TR Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:49 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: POR-15 or ??????

I used it after I stitched in new floorboards on my 62 Chevy II. Used the silver (thicker, fills pin holes) for one coat, then the semi-gloss black for two coats. I liked it a lot, I brushed it on, but it can be sprayed as well. I ordered it straight from their website ( http://www.por15.com/ )which even with shipping was cheaper than any local auto parts stores.
I had some left so I did the CJ7 frame, and when I had to grind some off for brackets, etc. it seemed a bit tougher than normal paint, and not as messy as undercoating.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:21 AM

Re: POR-15 or ??????

If you only have small rust spots it'd probably be easier to sand/grind them away then lay over some primer before the Herc. If you have big sections of heavy surface rust, or just want the added piece of mind protection, then POR-15 is the way to go.

You could coat the entire floor of a CJ7 tub with maybe only a pint. I just did my entire tub underside and inside floor and firewall using only 1 butter tub full. I bought a gallon then split it up into smaller containers as suggested on the can, so that's all I have to go by [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Do as the can says and wait till it's almost completely dry but still ever-so-slightly tacky, then spray over a coat of primer. This is so you have something for the Herc to stick to. When completely dried it's really smooth (even coarse brush strokes smooth themselves out) and by then getting anything to stick would be difficult.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode