Weekend Wheeling = Trashed YJ(long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Weekend Wheeling = Trashed YJ(long)

Just got back from Sand Lake last night. Damn, what a blast!!! No pictures though My Jeep has NEVER been so damn trashed!

Obviously it's got TONS of sand in it. That's a given when you goto a place called "Sand Lake". But I also TOTALLED my soft top.

Sand Lake has a bunch of back trails through the woods. But they're really just meant for ATVs and bikes. Well my YJ's small enough to fit through most of them. But not the last one I went through.

That last one was a b*tch! I fit through it without a single scrape, scratch, snag, or bump. Then I came to find it led to nice little dead end that involved a really cool 12pt turn.

So I started on my way back out, but it looked ALOT smaller then when I originally went through. The biggest challenge was getting my Jeep between this nice big 'ole tree and the stump/hill on the other side.

After a few tries at going through, I decided to get out of my Jeep and check my aproach. Just then a few ATVs came rolling up. Damn, they were impressed! They seriously didn't believe I made it through the way I showed them. And they wouldn't believe me that I did it without a scratch.

So they helped me out, but my soft top just didn't want to leave. I think it liked the tree it was rubbing against and decided to hold on. Same with the soft top frame. The soft top frame seemed to like the tree a bit more though since it ripped through the top to get to the tree.

Needless to say, my soft top is totalled. But I have a nice new skylight. And the one arm that connects to the windshield hangs freely. That's a bonus. Funny thing is the girl I went with was worried the arm would fall onto her driving back. I said "no" and two seconds later a piece fell onto her[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The moral of the story? Don't force yourself into a tight hole and expect not to get a few scratches, snags, bumps, and jolots[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Now search friendly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:16 PM

Re: Weekend Wheeling = Trashed YJ(long)

that's the way to do it, gota push the jeep.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:45 PM

it sounds like you took the male aproach when encountered with a tight hole just ram it through

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:46 PM

jolots?
nice story,ya gonna repair the soft top?
Taking girls wheeling=the best :P

Its four wheel drive and naked women what more do you want?
-Dirt Dog
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So how did that front 44 work for you? Any bugs to work out?

'75 CJ5 with goodies
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

The front 44 worked great!! Didn't even get muddy or sandy. Not even scratched or anything!! Of course that could be do to the fact it's still on jackstands in my garage[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Hoping to get that sucker in my YJ in the next week or two. The guy that's gonna help me is a HUGE flake and I'm starting to think of using a buddy from work to help me out. He can use his welder to tack it in place. Nickmil said he'd weld the rest if I dropped buy CCC with the axles and everything tacked up. If he is reading this, or I guess if you are reading this(Nickmil), are you still up for that?

As for repairing the soft top. I'm gonna say no[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When I said it was trashed, I meant it was f-ing TRASHED!! The suckers has a 2ft tear up top. The frame was bent up and somewhat around the rollbar. The part of the frame that attaches to the windshield was snapped off, and most of the metal snaps that hold the top portion ripped out of the top.

So here's a question for everyone. I may make a seperate post for this if I don't get many opinions. Should I buy a new soft top or get a hardtop? It rains about 9 months a year here. But then again this won't be my ONLY car. I like the look of a soft top. I like the functionality of a soft top. But I also like the noise reduction of a hard top, the actually clear windows, and the ability to lock my Jeep up for once. The disadvantage to a hard top is I'd need hard doors. I could just get those hard upper doors, but I can't stand the thought of sliding windows. It sounds great, but I couldn't open the sucker all the way up like I could roll a window down or fold the window down. So what are everyone's opinions? Thanks!

Now search friendly!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was reluctant to get a hard top too, but after I got it, I loved it.. I use the bikini top for summer (all summer its on right now) and the hard top for winter. I LOVE IT

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:40 AM

I know cost is a factor, but you asked for opinions. I have both a hard and soft top - I like each of them for different reasons. - Soft Top - Summer - Easy to take down put up. Hard Top - Winter - Quiet, somewhat warmer, clean windows etc.

So if you put a hard top on - and you get the itch to go topless, could be kinda disappointing.

Just my $0.02

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode