Hot interior... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hot interior...

So, for you guys who got rid of the carpet, and put down herc. how hot is it inside your Jeep? Because mine is basically unbearable...I know I'm supposed to have the top off, but sometimes you want to keep it on. What else can be done besides putting the carpet back in? Is Rhino liner better in this regard because it is so much thicker?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:47 PM

Re: Hot interior...

hmmm...I never notice the Herculined areas being hot, I only notice my black Bestop seat covers and home-made ammo box center console get unbearable. To be honest, I never am in direct contact with any Herculined parts, except for the bottom of my shoes.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://www.users.qwest.net/~wdohrn/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:08 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I am concerned about the same thing. I herculined the underside of my 'glass tub, and that seems to help prevent the heat from coming THROUGH the tub. But the unbearable sun has kept me from doing the interior. I'm currently looking into Hammerite Grey for the interior. I'm hoping to get more heat reflected out of the JEEP. But I'd also prefer the thickness of the Herculiner.

Sorry... no help here...

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:09 PM

I lined the inside of my tj w/ duplicolor stuff and it's really hot, I also keep my drain plugs out most of the time, though some cheepe auto parts store mats have helped some, keeping the doors off does much more than having the top off and is really easy to do especially w/ soft doors.

Barrelroll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:15 PM
Old Hand

How about using regular Herculiner (black or grey or whatever) and then spray painting white or another light color on top of it? I've got a little bit of blue rustoleum I accidently sprayed on some parts of my Herculiner and its been there for about a year.

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We just finished building the "Super Puller" pickup out of a 1980 FS GM 4X4. We knew we were going to have hours of pulling in the mid-range to lower gears, so we took steps to relieve as much heat transfer to the cab as possible. What we did was install a foil-backed insulating pad that we glued to the floor pan and separately to the removeable tranny hump. That was covered over with a 5/8" jute carpet pad, and then the rubber floor mats went in last. Underneath we wrapped all of the header pipes with the 2" wide exhaust wrap and overlapped about 50%. That pickup is QUIET AND COOL. Of course an open Jeep has a very different requirement as far as waterproofability is concerned and you may not be able to use the built-up floor covering system that we used, but it sure is nice. Now if we can just quiet those transfer case levers..............................bzzzzzzzzz vibrate......bzzzzzzzzz rattle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:13 PM

I've got the duplicolor bedliner in my CJ and it gets pretty warm also. It seems like a lot of hot air blows in the drain hole also. If you've got the drain plugs out, putting them back in may help a little.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its not the color and the sun that makes it so hot, its the heat radiating through the floor. I have a header on the 258 so maybe that makes it worse, but even when the temp outside is like 75deg. it is way too hot in the Jeep. Don't know what else to do besides put carpet back in...any ideas?
Dan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:18 PM
sas87yj

yeah it's gonna get HOT! the headers are thin-walled and make it worse. everything gets HOT- engine,tranny,transcase,axles etc..........i wheel in 100* plus weather and always have windows out. herc tub- no carpet. carpet would get too nasty to clean! get a CADILLAC!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:42 PM

I know your pain. I don't run a top and have half-doors; it's still way too hot; with the doors off, it is a little better. I am thinking about mounting a small fan to my console at floor level to help circulate it out.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://www.alpine14rs.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode