Best ways not to get stuck? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best ways not to get stuck?

I had to get somebody to pull me out today of a thick mud field. I was sliding all over the place when he pulled me out. I know I need to put bigger tires on my 98 Wrangler other than stock 27" tires but are there any techniques to get it out other than rocking it by putting it in reverse then giving it hell? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Best ways not to get stuck?

Well, first of all, if you don't wanna get stuck in the mud, you NEED a mud tire. Otherwise, you're gonna get stuck most of the time. The best thing to do in mud is to never let forward momentum stop; always keep the tires spinning to clean them out. In ruts saw the wheel back and forth to get a grip on the sides of the ruts, but be careful not to turn too sharp so if you catch traction you won't go careening off course. Most important though are the mud tires.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:49 PM

And when you are stuck, STOP. Don't spin your wheels aimlessly.
90% of the time, if you get stuck, stop immediately, get out and give it a push, you will be unstuck.

What really gets you stuck is, spinning the tires, then getting out and pushing when your so dug in, it's not going to help, so you spin some more, then you decide to rock it, and by this time rocking it isn't going to help.

It kinda goes in step, if you miss the first step though, your not going to get out.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have found that if you just keep the tires unloaded, you can get out most of the time. I have been to a dead stop several times, and I just put it in second and give 'er hell. She pops out most every time. Just ask Jeepgod about my last extraction. My passenger felt the wrath of the passenger side 33 mt.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Every situation can be different. I have pulled myself out sometime by spinning the tires, and other times, just stopping, and getting pulled out. Yes, mud tires will help get traction

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:29 PM
Pog

Tire's help but when your hung up underneath your screwed..

Ride 'N' High
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:34 PM

if ya dont want to get stuck than dont drive off road but once you leave pavement than the odss increase dramaticallly for getting stuck

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode