Grounding the dash w/'glass tub ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Grounding the dash w/\'glass tub ?

Hi all, I have a quick question. How heavy of a wire do I need to go from the dash to a ground? This will be grounding gauges, dash lights, stereo, etc. Also, does the steering column need to be grounded as well, or should that be ok by itself?
Thanks, I'm hoping to start the engine in the CJ this weekend.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:29 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Grounding the dash w/\'glass tub ?

I just did that, and fired up the Jeep the other night.I ran a single 8awg wire from the dash right to the battery and had no problems, I believe the column grounds thru the dash mounts.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I cannot think of anything that the column has that uses power, unless it is a lamp in the automatic tranny indicator. 8 AWG is a good size for the ground UNLESS you have some big ghetto-blaster in the dash that sucks up current like mad. In that case, lower your Jeep to the ground and head for East LA.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just recently finished up wiring my 'glass CJ-5 project. Rather than drilling more holes through the firewall, I ran a ground wire to the back of one of the bolts on the clutch and brake bracket. Then, on the engine side of the firewall, I ran a wire from the - post on the battery with leads to heater box stud, brake bracket, windshield washer, horn, ect. The ground wire is tucked neatly into the factory plastic loom. I was able to remove a lot of wiring under the hood with only one wire going to the Chevy hei distributor and Delco one-wire conversion alternator. When it comes to wires, I always like clean simplicity.

Grant
45 MB
60 CJ5
76 CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks guys! I had some 10 ga. laying around so I ran that directly to the battery neg post. I ran it through a grommet in the firewall that my sending unit wires run through for my gauges. No "Ghetto Blaster" stereo in my dash CJDave, just a Sony eXplod AM/FM/CD in the tuffy console (so I guess I can keep my 2.5" of lift & 31x10.50's...right?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I got the top on this weekend, and the stereo and lights all work. I am ordering an adjustable brake rod from Tri County Gear tomorrow to take care of my "Low brake pedal" issue and that should take care of the brake lights being on all the time. It won't crank yet. I think I am having the same neutral safety switch issue I had last year (that miraculously cured itself). I am sure if I grounded the NSS terminal on the starter solenoid it would crank over, but the mosquitos were eating me alive. Tomorrow is another day!

Mike H.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Just a note.... I grounded my dash panel, but that didn't complete the circuit for the wipers. I ran a ground wire to the back side of one of the lower hinge bolts (up under the cowl).

Just figured... while you are there......

DREW
IN2DEEP 78 CJ5
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Drew, I thought that was funny that my wipers actualy DO work without a seperate ground wire being run. I'm gonna' run one anyways because they will decide to be "Not grounded" at the next rain storm! Thanks for the advise.

Mike H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode