Sunday's episode in Chokecherry - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Sunday\'s episode in Chokecherry

On Sunday I ran into and hooked up with Steve Siez, a local Rock Garden club member, and his guests Paul Ceaseu [sp?], his buddy Matt, and two others from Colorado Springs. We were having a ball testing our machines against unfamiliar trails and past ARCA competition gates including this one, "The Cobra", which is extremely difficult due to it's treacherously steep, narrow, and winding accent.

Paul was doing great and almost got it when this left rear didn't quite make the horribly tall and under cut ledge step.
As you can see, when his Jeep started settling backwards after a heroic lunge, his left front wheel cocked and fish hooked into one of the Cobra's coils.
There was no going back down as his front wheel was hopelessly cocked and jammed with a broken U joint to top it off.
And there was no bringing him up as his rear wheel was firmly cupped into the under cut ledge despite our attempts with THREE wench cables on him. Stuck but good! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Even after we got his rear wheel free of the Cobra's jaws by lifting it out from two sides, the front was still jammed tight.
With his left rear finally clear and suspended we attempted to next hoist the jammed wheel and axel out so he could try to get his laid over steering uncocked.
This attempted hoist sealed Paul's fate when his ball joint separated out of the knuckle with a sickening POP, taking a piece of the knuckle with it.
Time to get out the on-board welder ... and the last of his three sets of axel shafts ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

These guys came out of Colorado prepared! The previous day Steve had taken this group of four to a brand new, totally extreme trail in the Rock Garden area near Aztec. The new trail is aptly named "The Spider Web" and it took a black widow's toll on them including five broken axels between them and was topped off by a spectacular pirouette roll over by guess who ... ?
Steve said our same Paul went on end attempting one of the new chutes and swears his front wheels were behind this rear set below and just as he was going to end over the front of his hood hit a tree branch, spun him 90 degrees and caused his yellow Jeep bodied rig to land on his side.
I both wish I had been there to see that and at the same time I'm very glad I hadn't been there ... for obvious reasons ...
I just wanted to play, these boys came down to play hard!

And, as bad luck would have it, just as soon as were back in action I got out of the Princess at the back of the line for the next romp, Gate #6, and promptly sprainged my ankle. So, I was done for the day, and for today too for that matter, as I'm now at the computer, my ankle in an ACE bandage ... totally crippled. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sunday\'s episode in Chokecherry

Sweet. I gotta get my CJ out there someday.

'85 Scrambler
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hardcore man, I hope I never have the misfortune of that much bad news in one day! Very nice pic's though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo,It's Orange! Now I just have to put it all back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve may take a few brave souls to the Spider during the UFWDA this week, if he does I'll have pics in the ORC article. Just wondering John, did you do Cobra, I've looked at it, way too nasty!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 05:19 PM

Jaffer,

You ever thought of starting a guide service? With your knowledge of the Farmington area, the newly-scored "shop", your prowess with the mechanical systems on Jeeps, and your demeanor, I couldn't think of a better host for the area.

We're looking at coming out sometime in 2002, I can only hope we have the opportunity to hook up and I can buy you a case of beer or something for the invaluable insight you've brought to this forum.

Or hey, if nothing else, you could make some cash by putting web-cams on your vehicles and hosting the "Farm-cam" site....

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

No, Brad. I wanted nothing to do with the Cobra ...
It was bad enough I had to get pulled out of a pretty hairy predicument earlier in the morning when I got stuck sort of sidways, practically standing on my tail and the whole Jeep rocking on opposites wheels .... eeeeeekkk!

And as for being a guide, you could do MUCH better.
I am just barely getting my bearings around Chokecherry and the Garden since I've only had my CJ up and running for just a year now and only got my front locker in a couple of months ago so I could even be able to tag along ...
It's the guys like Steve and the exclusive Cliffhanger group who are the REAL guides. In fact, I've spent the last several Sunday mornings out in Chokecherry just driving around trying to find ways into and out of the places others have taken me. This because I am a relative newbie to all the trails and I embarrased myself this spring by not being as knowledgable as a visiting group hoped I was. It's only recently that I've able to at least lead folks to some of the most popular areas. But at least now I can actually find the entrance to RJ's, a relatively new Chokecherry trail that is just now getting very popular.

Brad has been gettin a lot more familiar with the Rock Garden area and I with Chokecherry ... then we've been trying to go out together and share notes.
So that's why we always say in tandem that we can show you guys a good time if ever you'all drop in.

Oh, and as for the new shop .... the day before the closing date of it's sale to me, the structural engineer I insisted do an inspection CONDEMED THE BUILDING! No sale ...
Remember I said the thing was like an old Jeep? And we all know ya gotta start out with at least a good frame! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Still looking for another ...

JAF
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:20 PM

Hey man, i like the headlight thing going on. Is there any purpose to like the tape or whatever is over the headlight? It makes you look like you have a tired jeep.
Andrew

1978 CJ-7 amc 360, T-18, D44 rear w/ detroit, 3.5 lift, 32 BFG mudds.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

It looks like they are trying for the YJ look.

jerry
87 Cherokee 4.0, 90 Wrangler 4.2, 95 Wrangler 2.5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

No, Jerry. Paul is not going for "the YJ look"!
If you will look at his grill closely you might notice the top of it has been crunched from a roll over.
The yellow duct tape is mearly a camouflaging attempt to keep his headlights from falling out of their sockets!
It does look kind of cool though ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Speaking of square headlights, I'm gonna make sure H8 gives the Cobra a shot after he gets his 60's in and decides to finally head over this way ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JAF
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 10:07 PM
sas87yj

WOW that's NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!
that dude was in a MESS!
looks like the COBRA strikes hard!
awesome pics jaffer- wish i was there for that one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode