Stuck exhaust manifold stud - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stuck exhaust manifold stud

I'm swapping a '77 258 into my scrambler, and one of the exhaust studs is broken off flush with the manifold. I drilled through the stud, and tried using easy outs. I ended up breaking a snap on wrench, messing up a snap on tap & die handle, and eventually breaking an easy out inside the stud. So my question is...where do I go from here? I hope I can get a drill bit into the easy out to back it out, but what about the stud?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stuck exhaust manifold stud

I used the smile icon because I'm glad I'm not the only one who has done this. You can do 2 things. Weld on a bolt with the head cut off. The other is these clamp things that go over the outside. They have them at most parts stores. I would weld the bolt on. Thats what I did with the Chevy engine I put in a Blazer. Its still working fine. You are determined. I would have welded on the bolt stud a long time ago.

85CJ7-LT1
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Stuck exhaust manifold stud

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Let X equal the number of broken off flush studs that I have removed by welding a NUT onto the stud. Usually by the time I get involved, there is a broken off bit or tap in there as well. I normally use a nut maybe one size bigger than the stud would normally have threaded onto it. I set the nut in the exact center and hold it with the ground clamp of my welder, and then I stick that wire in there and weld the crap out of that stud and nut, until they resemble one HUGE cherry red bolt. THEN I go do something else.........like watch a war movie; change oil in my ZJ and grease it; spray WD-40 in the backside of my GM pickup hood; or have a very long lunch. That allows the welded assembly to cool, and SHRINK BACK FARTHER THAN IT WAS. Then I put a box end on it and tap gently first this way and then that way until I can get rotation, and then on out. I have done this on the back of engine blocks STILL IN THE VEHICLE, on manifolds of course; on cast iron tractor radiators; and just about everything else including flat head engines that we raced in the fifties[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I have had to weld as many as three nuts on before a stubborn stud came out, but I have NEVER FAILED to get the broken stud outa there. The heat-cool-shrink is the secret.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Stuff when heated in a confined space will compress and then shrink back with a tiny bit of clearance that was not there before.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode