Dana 60 ground clearance? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Dana 60 ground clearance?

What will I lose in ground clearance and drive shaft angle over the stock AMC 20 if I go with a currie Dana 60?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dana 60 ground clearance?

What engine are you running, and tire size. do you need the 60, or are you just following the latest fad for 60's. You shouldn't worry about clearnce if your running a 60, If you are, your tires are too small for the axle, and you probably don't need the extra size.
If you have the tubes welded, and onepiece axles, you have a very strong and capable axle!!! I have seen Elusives jeep wreak havoc on his 20 with mosers, and a detroit, and it never flinched, with 35 boggers.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:41 PM
utahjeepr

My Dana 60 measures 6" from the centerline of the axle tube to the bottom of the pig. I did a little grinding (1/2" at the most) along the bottom. I just stuck a gasket on the diff and ground the bottom to match the outer edge of the gasket. The centerline of the pinion u-joint to the centerline of the axle tube measures almost 14". I'm running a 1410 u-joint. I'm not sure if the yoke for the 1410 is much longer than the yoke for a smaller joint or not. The 1410 is freakin' huge, and it might have been a mistake. Axle shafts and ring & pinion sets are more expensive than u-joints, not to mention harder to replace trailside.

I don't have a 20 to measure, but you should be able to crawl under with a tape and see how the 60 would fit in there with the measurements I gave you.

My other car is a bulldozer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 07:48 PM

Well I know that the D60 has less clearance than a D44, and my D44's have 11.5" of clearance with 35" tires! I would go with D44's and if you can break them than upgrade the axles shafts to aftermarket 33 spline shafts. The 33 spline d44 shafts only have 16% less strength than D60 axle shafts and it would still cost $1000-$1500 less than a currie Dana 60.

Rodney C
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

spend your $$$ once and get the 60 you won't regret it. how many people do you hear say " man i wish i would've gotten a d44"? yeah you can get a 44 and upgrade later but what if you break a pinion gear? well you'll end up getting a bigger axle and wish you had from the beginning. just my op. spending $$$ right the first time will save you $$$ in the long run.

and if you are worried about ground clearance get bigger tires. with my 38.5 sx's i have 11 7/8" under my d60 front and 11.5 on my 14 bolt. both are shaved and this is at 35pst

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:54 AM

There is no argument that the D60 is a strong axle. But for $2500+ (Currie) it is just a little to much for me. I got 2 D44's for $200! I Have 11.5" of clearance with 35" tires and 25psi, I also have 15X10 rims. For $1200 I can put the 33 spline axles and a Detroit in the rear. I do not here about very many people having troubles with the D44 ring and pinion, But I am sure there is some one that has smashed there d44 r&p. I have also heard that some people snap D60 axles like twigs on the rocks. I am glad you like your set-up, and it sounds like a stout one at that! When I got my axles I looked at many options, but I went with the D44's because: They weigh allot less(Less unsprung weight), They have more ground clearance, There is little or no drive shaft changes needed, There is lots of parts around for them, They are a proven axle, and the shafts are upgradeable to 33 spline. My 2 Cents.

Rodney C
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'm going to be running a 5.0 HO with some high performance parts. Not only do I plan on some trail running, but also lots of heavy footed street driving and even towing. That's why I think I should go with the heavier-duty axle like a 60. The $2500 price includes gears, locker, and rear disc brakes. If I kept the AMC 20, it would be $350 1 piece axles, $500 locker, $600 disc breaks, plus money for gears, install kit and labor. I also live in Hawaii, so junkyard D44's are out of the question. The currie axle looks like a better deal every time I look at it. Shipping out here is "only" $250. Shops out here charge $1000 just to change gears front and rear!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:57 AM

Go Big, d60 or 14bolt(or both) you won't regret it. You can shave about an inch from either and run as big a tire as you like. Last week in the Advertiser, there was a front d60 and rear dually 14 bolt for 200 bucks!!!! so keep your eyes open, there are deals here too. Call Tommy at TG Customs, he might be able to help you find one locally(on Oahu).

Wayne @ Big Island RockCrawlers
"PYRO" The Rock Crawler
Web Site: http://www.members.tripod.com/surfmac/Index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode