Anyone make a crossmember? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Anyone make a crossmember?

I'm looking for ideas on fabing up a crossmember for the tranny that gives better ground clearance. What did you use? Any design tips? How did you attach to frame? Most of my welded in frame nuts are broken loose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone make a crossmember?

I'm currently working on mine...I used 1.25" square tubing (stainless steel) ran directly under the tranny mount bolts. It has a strap on either side made of 1/4" steel that goes up the side of the frame, and then I drilled a hole through the strap and frame and bolted it there. I welded a piece of angle iron to the sq tube and put a rubber doughnut atop that...and the tranny bolts directly to the angle iron, sitting on the doughnut. I'm planning on building another crossmember at the front of the tranny as well, and attaching it similarly...

Then, I took a piece of 3/8" steel diamond plate, and welded that to the bottom of the first crossmember. The plate is 16" long, and the width of the framerails. Weldd to the bottom of the 1.25" tubing, it just clears the lowest point on the t-case and tranny. It will be also welded to the front crossmember. I then ran a piece of 12" wide 5/16" steel up under the bellhousing and oil pan. It is welded to the big skid plate, and bolted to the front of the clutch bellhousing...just for a little extra protection. When I get it finished, I'll post a few pics.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have some in the frame broken loose nuts, what I'm going to do to fix them is to clean out the hole of the old one and any debri, then I'm going to fit a rod coupling of the same thread up into the frame and weld around it, use a grinder to tidy it up and I'm done. The crossmember is a different thing, I used 2" angle iron to bolt to the frame where the old skid plate was, next I took some 3" wide HEAVY channel steel and turned it upside down where the "u" faces the ground, next I made 2 cuts in the sides all the way bottom, (I did this after I'd bolted the t-case mount up to the t-case, after the tranny and t-case were in position) then I bent up the 3" steel, held it in place with another jack, marked/cut the 3" and welded it to the angle on each side, drill 2 holes and I'm done, only thing left is to make the skid plate. Hope this helps out, later.

Fluke [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 04:35 PM
utahjeepr

I used 2x4-.250 wall steel tubing. My design wouldn't work for you though, my frame isn't boxed all the way like your '82. My buddy used a big piece of 5/16" T-6 aluminum plate in his TJ monted to the bottom of his frame, but he did some serious work to tuck everything inside the frame rails. Get your tranny and t-case up as high as you can, then see what you need and design from there, that's what I did. I jacked everything into place where I wanted it and started measuring. On an 80 CJ i used to have my nuts were broken loose inside the frame, I holesawed through the inside face of the frame and replaced the nuts and then welded the pieces I cut out back in to fill the holes. Probably the hardest part of the entire job was getting the frame pieces out of the holesaw to weld them back in, ;-)

My other car is a bulldozer!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 05:03 PM
Pooh-Bah

I made one that is 1.5" higher than stock since I raised the motor/tranny/t-case up. I used some 1.5" sch. 80 that goes in front of the tranny mount and another one behind it with a piece of 4"x12"x.25" plate for the actual mount. The fram I have had some 5"x5"x15" angle steel along the outside for the mount since the bolts were broken off in the frame. SO on the ends of the tube I welded on some 5"x15"x.375" plates to bolt up to the frame. After this photo, I added a third leg off the rear for my traction bar mount.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-530121-donecrossmember2.jpg (49.0 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:55 AM

Mine is similar to pbmcauliffs only it ataches to the inside of my old T.C. drop down brackets. I am making a new one however because there is very litle clearance for my front output yoke. The new one will curve over the front output(you might not have this problem with your T.C. but I did with the np205).

PBM...I like the skull welding mask...I have the same one in black.

5.0s and 4 speed = lots of broken parts!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:34 AM
Pooh-Bah

Jimmy- I used to have neigborhood kids watching me do stuff from the street (no garage, I work in a carport) and was always afraid I would get sued because they went blind from watching me weld. Now, they are unsure of the mask and they don't come around when I wear it. Plus I gotta be different.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:15 PM

Welding flash sucks...By acident I got flashed by a TIG welder(about 5 seconds of exposure with my eyes closed) and ended with two black/bloodshot eyes for a few days and had to wear sun glasses to drive at night because oncoming headlights hurt a lot. Just do what I do to get rid of the kids-Park a large dog on the front lawn and keep a garden hose near by to spray the little brats.

5.0s and 4 speed = lots of broken parts!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 07:11 PM

I have been running this set up, all summer. The skid is rock solid, built from 1/4" plate steel, with the cross member reinforcements and T case bracketry built right into it. I like the set up because its flat and has less chance of hanging up on rocks. I have landed very hard on it, and regularly surf rocks with it no problems.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-532041-MVC-010S.JPG (37.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode