Yee-Haw! Good time with the Comanche last night! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Yee-Haw! Good time with the Comanche last night!

Last night I went to the Lakeland Mud-Bogs. I just went to watch, not to participate since all I brought was the Comanche. The mud bog was wicked, you couldn't tell how big the trucks were that were stuck because only the bumpers and above stuck out through the mud. Not until some poor soul sloshed his way through waist-deep goo to hook up a snatch strap anyhow. Only when a big-block Ford running 44x22" tires on 2.5-ton axles would send four gysers into the air and pull that truck out would you notice he'd been running 36-38" Boggers.... Definately not something I wanted to take the stock MJ with 215/70 Dueler APTs into....

There is a smaller mudhole section though, but last night I didn't try that either. I'm not a fan of getting stuck and waiting an hour for someone to pull me out...

One of the 'roads' around the 'bog, right on the South side of it I think, had turned into a small 'bog itself, but only axle-deep or so to those running 31s. My friend's 98 Dodge 2500 2wd with 33" ATs got stuck twice just trying to cruise through, and thats with V-8 power. I saw almost a dozen 4x4s with (some with V-8s) running either street tires, all-terrains or semi-bald mud tires get stuck in there too.

Not me! No-way, I know how to play in this stuff. Its full-throttle, dont slow down, and aim for the center if you can. A running head-start can really help too While I tried to go straight through, its not always possible. Usually there is a stuck truck, or a slower vehicle (3-wheeler or something) in the way and you've got to dodge around them. This left me negotiating the 'hole in a zig-zag pattern and left me crossing ruts very often. Damn these trucks ride nice! Bouncing through the ruts, maxing up the upper and lower end of suspension travel, with no seriouly jarring motions like I was used to in the Wrangler, and we made it right on through just as fast as we could. I never left first gear, as I doubt the engine has the balls to spin up like that in second. It held pretty steady in first at 3k rpms with very little bogging.

On the way home around midnight me and friends from town in 2 other trucks all headed out together. We did the 70 miles back at speeds ranging from 75 to 85 (my speedo maxed out for a while, it could have been around 100 mph or so in 4th gear turning 4k...) and the MJ never missed a beat. It was a wide road with fairly little traffic so when we could we'd line up side-by-side and compare speedometer readings. The Ford Ranger was reading 80 while the Dodge and I read only 75 or so. We got into town and split up, but Ryan and I decided to go watch Street Races, so he called his friend to find out where they were at the moment. We pulled off the side of the road while he called, and I noticed my oil pressure gauge reading 20psi, when I took off it dropped to almost nothing It had been reading 60 on the way there... but on the way back I'd been watching the temp guage more. We eased over to the Hess station and put 4 quarts (!) of 10w40 into it, and the pressure came back up. This engine doesn't leak oil, so I must have burnt it off somehow (Its only been 1500 miles since the last oil change too).

The street races weren't very spectacular, although they did get the most consecutive runs without being broken up by police that I've seen so far by the time I left. There were only a couple muscle cars an a dozen or so jap-jobs. Some poor soul in a slow Camaro lost about 4 times before he decided to go home. I think it was getting totally wasted by an RX-7 that did it to him. When the RX-7 hit 2nd gear he must have been turning 7-8k rpms- that car took off ahead of the Camaro and he hit the flashers for the rest of the run just to rub it in a little. They slowed down and turned the corner to circle the industrial park and come back to the races, but only the RX-7 came back, hehehe.

As an aside, yesterday I finally got the Wrangler running again for the first time in a year. Its going to be some strange wiring job mix-matching Grand-Wagoneer and Wrangler parts to get it all working again. We got power into the dash, and are working out wiring up a Grand-Wagoneer starter solenoid to the Grand-Wagoneer starter from some chopped wires coming out of the Wranglers firewall.... Ryan's pretty good at this stuff, he can rig up about anything, even if he does an ugly job of it. He'll get it working, and then I'll re-do it to make it pretty and more reliable.... With any luck I can trailer the Wrangler out to Lakeland tonight or next weekend and beat it 'till the axles snap

Make it up as you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 08:31 PM

Re: Yee-Haw! Good time with the Comanche last night!

Sweet, I wish we had mud bogs around here. Did you have a buring oil smell at all? That's really wierd that all the oil would just disapear. Good luck at the bogs if you take your yj.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 10:00 PM

Hey, all in a daze local fun if you ask me ...
I used to wait all night for any low flying DC-3 or other low flying aircraft to fly overhead and close enough to ground so I'd have a chance for them to see my initials poured with gasoline and lighted...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Come on John, I didn't grow up around here, but it can never have been THAT boring! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

No oil smell, no blue smoke, no nothing. And it was Mobile 1 Full synthetic so I know it didn't break down or anything with the heavier-than-normal use I gave it. I even checked the air filter to see if there was any blow-by (of which there was plenty when I bought the truck, but I replaced the whole system) and my K&N was as clean as the day I bought it. When I pressure-wash the truck off today I'll double-check for any slow leaks. With the Wrangler back in action, I can can some things done to the Postal and sell it. Hopefully I can pay off the Comanche with the proceeds.

Make it up as you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode