Steering mod screwup---heim jt for ovrhd drg lnk?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering mod screwup---heim jt for ovrhd drg lnk??

Ok, so I was pondering purchasing a drop pitman arm to correct the drag link angle after the 4" lift and new shackles were installed. And as I looked at the jeep, it looked like flipping the drag link to the top side of the knuckle would correct the steering about perfectly. I obtained the proper size and angle reamer bit to re-drill the hole, and here's the rub. I didn't wholly think this through, so the hole is now shaped hourglass...the top is reamed out (by me) and the bottom is reamed out from the original hole...so the drag link is only in contact with half the original area. I'm not very happy with this. So I've been thinking of drilling the hole out and removing the taper, and replacing the long part of the drag link with a heim joint atop the knuckle and a long rod of some sort that would thread into the adjustment sleeve on the tie rod end that attaches to the pitman arm. Any problems with that? Where would I look for something like that (parts wise)?? As a side question, I thought I remembered someone mentioning sleeves that you can buy that are a consistent OD, but have the proper angle hole drilled in the center---that can be inserted into the knuckle and used with a standard drag link. Or am I making that up? Any other ideas? Anyone?

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 01:11 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Steering mod screwup---heim jt for ovrhd drg lnk??

A couple people I know have actually done this, drilled the hole out, made a new drag link with heim joint on the knuckle side and tie rod end on the other, then some that have replaced the tre's all together with heim joints. These are all trailer queens, but steering and longetivity haven't suffered.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 01:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have heims on mine, but just on the center link. I wanted to flip the center link so it would not hit my spring over. The heims do have some wear in them now, at 30k miles. I would rather have a conventional tie rod end at the drag link because of the angles involved under full droop. If it were me, I would just keep an eye on them for looseness. You could always see if you could go bigger on the tie rod end. Look at some from a Chevy's 44, they are quite a bit larger. The thread pitch on them is 7/8-18. I believe that the threads on your ends now are 3/4-16, or even 3/4-18. The 3/4 heim joints come in 3/4-16, so you may want to check. Heims are not dot approved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think all you are asking for is at spidertrax.. I think its .com

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:14 PM

i've re-tapered acouple knuckles, and other steering parts myself.
i re-tapered from the other side and gone up in tierod size, this almost cleaned out the original tapper, i also re-tapered 1/2 way and then installed tierod or whatever and pulled tight, then removed nut and made a tapered sleeve out of something like the picture i attached to fill the void left. i'm sure not to make the sleeve to long (might try to push the tierod out) i've also used the tapered sleeve when installing steering stabilzers in tappered holes when just using plain bolts.

of course this is not the ideal/correct way

fyi, i did have one reverse taper work loose before.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-530155-taperedsleeves.jpg (50.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode