OT: American Made - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT: American Made

The Harley post got me thinking AGAIN on this subject, it came to a head recently for me. Government vehicles are bought with our tax dollars, so you would think a gov vehicle should be American made. That is MADE, not just assembled like some of the Japanese vehicles. Well a couple weeks ago I saw a brand new NISSAN ALTIMA with gov plates on it, so I followed it to its destination. Lo and behold, it belongs to the Aztec School District, and in the school district lot there was at least one more brand new NISSAN, a Sentra, with gov plates on it. This really PISSED me off, so I emailed the state purchasing agent to find out how this can be. He said that just as long as a vehicle is assembled here, like Toyota, Nissan, Honda, then it is OK to buy them. My response is this is <font color=red>BS</font color=red>, the profits are still being turned into yen, not dollars. I've gotten pretty worked up about this, what an example, especially for our kids in the schools that those people are employed by. There are plenty of Fords, Chevys or whatever that are on the purchasing list, but it's totally wrong IMO for a gov agency to buy a foreign car, no matter what. Some of the appropriate authorities have heard about this from me, but of course the chicken sh!ts haven't responded. I hope they choke on their sushi. Just my thoughts on this Labor Day weekend.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:16 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT: American Made

As far as kids in school goes Brad , it`s a way to late for most of them . Drive by the high school here and seems every car is a Honda or Toyota .When my daughters friends come over I ask why everyone drives Honda`s and thier reply is " They are cool and nothing ever goes wrong with them ".An 88 Prelude SI seems a ton more reliable and cooler than 88 Sunbird to these kids . A lot of the girls there drive YJ`s though , so all is not lost . In fact I dont think there is a guy driven YJ in this whole city . Guys=CJ`s , chicks like YJ`s , go figure .

Just my 2 cents worth

Jeff

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You know...funny someone mentioned this. We had a little party here at the hacienda...and my whole clan of friends was here...it was great...my entire street was adorned on both sides, in a 500 foot radius from my house with AMERICAN VEHICLES. GM, Ford, and Chrysler. I mentioned it...and everyone agreed that it was interesting...not a single one of us owns a ricie or otherwise...humph!

Buy American, Damnit! Or YOU may be OUT of a JOB!
-remy

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have only owned one foriegn car (Rx7) when I was into autocrossing and it happened to fit a particular purpose. As far as everyday drivers I have owned 2 Chevy trucks and 2 Ford trucks and my wife drives a Cherokee. We are looking at buying a liberty or a grand cherokee for her (I don't really care about the off-road capabilities of either). If I were to ever buy a foriegn ride it would be German. They make the best sports car in the world (911 carrera 4 turbo) and the best out of the box 4x4 (unimog).

Duct Tape is like the force...
It has a light side and a dark side
and it holds the universe together
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Journeyman

It is sad to see that no one cares about the importance of american made. Since my father was is a GM retiree there is no way I could ever drive a foreign car (even without A plan discount). Whenever someone pulls in his driveway in a foreign car he tells them to leave. Everyone who knows him knows better than to try and park one at his house.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:10 AM

As it is true that Asian cars are more reliable, just think whats going to happen when stuff starts going wrong with them, were finally getting to the point, where none of the school kids know what happens under the hood, mechanics are going to have a field day.

At the school I go to, the majority of cars are RiceWine Fueled, I have the only Jeep, there are a couple of Ford Taurus and stuff, and one Vdub Gulf thats used for AutoCross. All I can say is I hang out wiht the guy in the VW, he's the only one who knows what happens under the hood.
As this winter will by my first in my Jeep, I can't wait. Everyone elses cars are lowered, with low profile tires (going for that racing look.) I'll finally be able to show them what a Jeep can do, but you can be damn sure I'm only going to help those who appreciate an American/North American made vehicle (live in Canada, so Ihave to put that in.) and, even if they do appreciate the power of a Jeep, I'm gona make their car remeber it by spinning the tires in 4hi before I pull them out. (Around here, your car may need a pull or winch just to get itself out of the parking spot/pile of snow that was clear 45 min ago.)

This reminds me of the story my dad told me about the first jeep he saw.
He used to fly alot, when we lived in the UK, and he was at the local air strip and all the ole "chaps" were sitting around talking about their britsh made sports cars, when a Chick drove up, it was the first time he had ever seen a Jeep, it was a left over WW2 relic. so everyone gets on this JeepChicks case about how she drives a 20y/o Jeep, and she should get a real british made car. All she says is "Can your car do this?" climbed in her Jeep, and drove it over 3 or 4 Cement bunker roofs (left over bombshelters from WW2, they stick up 7-10 feet out of the ground and are shaped like a dome (1/2 burried 1/2 cement pipe looking things.))
After that all the ole "chaps" kept their mouths shut, and he hasn't lost respect for Jeep's since.
This is the #1 reason he persuaded both my sister (24) and me to get Jeeps.

Can you belive my younger brother just got his licence and told me this yesterday? "I'm gona get a Honda Civic, lower it, and pimp it out."
I told him if he did, he'd better park it down the street, otherwise I'd practice my articulation on his roof.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:45 AM
WSB

Brad,

So do you own anything that isn't made here in th good ole USA? How about your TV, VCR, computer, microwave, etc., etc.?

Wayne

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:36 AM

Toyota makes some of the safest most reliable cars in the world. And any new american car is just as complicated under the hood. Many share designs. The eagle talon and eclipse are 100% american built, 50% american made(chrystler). Same with the dodge stealth and 3000gt.
Look up the safety reports on a toyota siena and then a ford f-150 and see what you want your family riding around in.

Still waiting for those good 31's at the yard...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it is possible to buy a product that is US made, then I buy it rather than foreign made. Kind of the same philosophy Sam Walton had when he first started out. Obviously there are things that just plain aren't made here. My point was, those cars were bought with tax dollars, and there were PLENTY of alternatives that are U.S.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My family only owns one car that is not American made, a BMW. All of our other cars are American made and damn proud of it. Jeep Scrambler, Jeep YJ, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban.

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode