What are the best type of tires to purchase? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are the best type of tires to purchase?

I am looking to buy a set of tires for my 98 Wrangler stock. I heard you can fit up to 31s on it but my concern is that wouldnt they rub against the tire well when crawling over rocks? I do 85% of my driving on loose dirt/rocks on trails and I do little mudding. I was thinking about the BFG 31 AT's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What are the best type of tires to purchase?

Good choice for an all around tire for a daily driver that sees some light to moderate wheeling. The BFG ATs are really not that bad of a wheeling tire, both Jaffer and I run BFG ATs and where we wheel its not exactly what you would call easy stuff (understatement)!

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Take a good look at the new BFG Mud Terrain KM . Nice tire !!

Jeff

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like BFG AT's they even wear pretty well on the street to besides being a pretty good off road tire.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

31s BFG AT fit with no problems,the 31s MT are just a hair taller,they might rub.The new BFG MT look great.I am looking at a set of 33s,but have to buy new wheels first.Need Different offset than stock.

Jeff 2001 TJ,4.0,3"RE super-flex,Dana44,31"BFG,Sun Performance Rockers
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:15 PM

I run 30x9.5 bfg at ko's on my stock '97 TJ, they rub a little at full lock and I just made my sway bar discos and havn't been able to check it out on the trail. They are a good tire, pretty good in sand, mud and snow and deascent on the high way. I've been stuck w/ them but usually the people w/ muds were also stuck or I was burried to the frame.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run the BFG A/T's too. They're a great on-road tire, and a good off road tire...they are also MUCH quieter on the highway than the M/Ts.

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:47 AM
goose

Look into the Goodyear MY/R's. They have worked great on my CJ5. They are quiet on the highway (I drive it to the trail) and work great on the rocks. I have 35's and they were only about $160.00 which is comprable to the BFG's.

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 02:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I have 33x12.50's BFG Muds on my Jeep (94 YJ, if my name didn't give it away[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]), and 285/75 R16 Yokohama Geolander AT's on my Ranger. From a purely comfort viewpoint, the Yokohama's are the best tire's I've EVER owned. They kick butt on the streetability of the BFG AT's, Pirellis, Michelin's and any other tire I've ever owned. Did I mention these are the BEST tires I've ever owned?

From an offroading viewpoint, the Muds can get a bit sloppy, but are a great overall tire. I did prefer my BFG AT's for plain dirt and small rocks... The Yok's are DAMN sticky, but the tread pattern isn't agressive enough for anything more than light wompage...

Hope this helps!

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode