Give me reasons why i should swap out my d35 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Give me reasons why i should swap out my d35

Ok so today I told my dad once i got cash I'm going to put a new rear axle in my TJ to replace the d35. He was wondering why i wanted to. I told him the axle in there is weak and have even broken with people running 30's that hammer the gas and then destroy their axles. He doesn't think jeep would do such a thing. I also don't want to put a locker in the d35 and then end up getting another for a d44 or 8.8. I don't have a clue the largest size tires i will be running in the long run, probably 35's would be the max, for now probably 30" bfg at ko's because they are almost brand new. Does every body else think I should just either get an 8.8 or d44 and call it done instead of putting money in the d35 I'm in no rush and can wait for to get the cash and find one cheep, I'd rather do it once right than have to do it 2 times.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Give me reasons why i should swap out my d35

You want reasons. Start with showing him a ring gear out of a 35, then one out of a 20 or a 9 inch, or really impress him with one from a 60. (Don't use a 44 as an example, they're not much bigger than the 35.)

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just as well, look for a pic showing the compare of a 44 or a 60 shaft to a 30/35.
Just tell him they suck really bad, and you don't want to get raped on the backwoods of WV when your rear axle goes kaput.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:09 AM

Three good reasons- they are weak, they are weak and they are weak. A super thirty five set up(with new axles and the like) will probably more than swapping in an 8.8. The only problem is finding a good shop to weld the trailing arm mounts onto the new axle.

5.0s and 4 speed = lots of broken parts!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks anybody have any horror stories, maybe h8 want's to chime in.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:14 PM

Jeep went with the D35 axles, because they are cheap, reliable enough to survive the warranty with stock tires and slightly larger. They will not survive for long, however, when used with larger high traction tires aired down for maximum traction. Especialy with lockers and low gears. The fact that any manufacturers components wont work reliably when taken outside of their design parameters is nothing new. The bad thing about the D35 is that with its C clip design, if you do snap an axle shaft, there is nothing left to retain the shaft, so it will simply fall out of the axle assembly with your tire attached. Not a very good quality in an axle that may be carrying you 50 miles or more into the middle of nowhere.
Unfortunately, the best argument to sway a steadfast non believer about the inheirant weak attributes of the D35, is to allow them to run it for a while. The money spent, and time waisted, and aggravation brought about by that POS will sway you everytime. You will at that point probably have spent what the swap would have cost in the beginning, but hey, you will have the proof you need.
I used to snap my D35 (fortunately not a C clip version), about every 4th trip($100 each time for junk yard assemblies with bearrings), when I was running 35" tires and 75:1 gear ratio.
Good luck with your argument. I hate seeing guys broke down on the trail with no way to get home.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:10 PM

If nothing else it will give you something to talk about around the coffee table while sipping a double mocha cappachino.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Turn the wheels in the head before the gears in the jaw
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A WHAT!!!??? Better watch out, I knew a guy that drank too many of those kind of coffees, his wrists became real limp and he started to lisp. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:01 PM

I've never known coffee to make you gay, but I think I'll quit anyways.

You should have said, "It makes a great story to tell when your sitting around the bar drinking a great Canadian beer, hitting on some cute JeepChicks."
(Actually, if their JeepChicks, don't mention that it was a 30 or 35, claim it was the 60 that you broke on the first run out after your roll over. (Chicks dig rollovers.))

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode