Narrowing electrical problem down!! woohoo - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Narrowing electrical problem down!! woohoo

I've been trying to figure out my problem of frying ignition modules. While checking out some of the suggestions I recieved from some previous posts I put a test light on the large red wire coming out of the top left of the back of the fuse box. You know, the engine compartment side. Well it was showing hot with the key OFF. Man what a fire hazard. I traced it to the ignition switch that bolts to the top of the steering column. What in the world would cause this situation. Doesn't the ignition switch mount on slotted holes to allow for adjustment? Would this thing being out of adjustment cause the hotwire situation. Could it be not grounded correctly under the dash. How would you ground something like that? I really think this might have something to do with my entire problem. If anyone that reads this knows what might be going on please respond. I apologize for begging but it's solely from desperation. Thanks everybody

Oh yeah, the red wire I'm referring to goes to the positive side of the starting solenoid.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:05 AM

Re: Narrowing electrical problem down!! woohoo

You should check your distrubuter, maby that is the prob with the ignition module. That wire is suspose to be hot at all times, it is your main feed for your ignition switch.

Rodney C
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:21 AM

That red wire is supposed to be hot all the time. You may, however want to check it with the engine running and make sure you're getting good voltage. Your problem may be in the distributor with that little gadget that replaces the points.

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You may also want to identify what type of alternator you have, while most have a built in voltage regulator, some don't and the regulator is attached to a clip on the side of the coil. If it is a built in to the alternator, it possible the built in voltage regulator is shot. I've seen both setups on the same year CJ .........if everything is getting super hot like you describe, I think I'd check it out....while you may have a short...I have seen the result of a bad regulator, and its very similar to what your describing.

DrummondCJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That wire is supposed to be hot even with key out of the ignition? That really seems dangerous. I'm going to replace the alternator, they're only $33.99 lifetime warranty at A-zone. The hall effect trigger isn't real expensive either. Man, I feel stupid, to me it doesn't make any sense to have a hot wire with jeep turned off. It seems like it could burn down pretty easy if something went wrong. Thanks Guys.

Matt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:08 PM

That is a main feed wire, if that was not there where would the 12V current come from? Do you have a amp gauge? if the amp's are not spiking, than I would not waste my money on a new alternator. Check or get the distributor checked!

Rodney C
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Rodney, What do you mean when you say amps spiking? As you can easily tell, I'm not much on electrical things. I do have a small voltmeter, Could I use it to check the alternator. Dorfs told me to check the alternator for AC voltage, but I have no idea how to do that. I understand that there has to be a 12V wire to operate the electrical system, what I have a hard time understanding is why it is electrified with the key out of the ignition. Well thinking about it, you can get the engine to crank by manually operating the ignition switch under the dash. Hell, I'm learning all kinds of stuff from you guys. Thanks for the information.

Matt

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:41 PM

You can take the alternator to a shop and get it checked and that will answer all your questions. I have seen alternators charge AC, but it is not common. I would get the Distributor checked also, or get a used one and try that. Good Luck:

Rodney C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode