Best tool to cut metal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Best tool to cut metal?

I was just wondering if there is a decent, affordable tool to cut the metal I need to cut to patch the frame on my 1986 jeep cj7. I am not sure what size I am going to use yet, probably 3/16....would a jigsaw or something similar work?
thanks again, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:23 PM

Re: Best tool to cut metal?

If you have an air compressor then a cutoff wheel tool would be best. If you don't have air, use an electric circular saw with a metal cutting (stone) blade. The frame is tough and I'd think you'll get frustrated quickly trying to use a jig saw.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a circ saw with abrasive blade to cut quite a bit of 1/8" diamond plate. I have also cut with a sawzall. I prefer the sawzall. It's much faster. Just clamp a heavy piece of angle iron down along the line you want to cut. Since you are patching a frame, it probably won't be that wide so your best be will be a chop saw. If you don't have one you can probably get the steel people to make a couple of cuts for you when you buy the steel.

Bakes
97 Wrangler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I do have a cut off tool, but it seems like it would be very slow, and not real accurate....I am not talking about cutting the frame up, I am talking about cutting up the metal to size to fix the frame....one piece will need to be about a foot long...I think it would be hard to cut a straight line with a cut off tool, thanks again, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i am a sheet metal worker by trade so i think i can help.have you ever heard of a Metabo?it is a tool similar to a 4.5 grinder but ut uses 6" .040 thick cutoff wheels.we use these for cutting all kinds of metal and steel.they cut thru it like butter.layout your cuts,scribe a line so you can see it and let this sucker eat!not to hard to cutt straight either.take your time and let the blade do the work.the Metabos are kinda pricey but worth it.good luck!

"have a nice day"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:32 PM

Heck Vikinggg I never saw one untill you showed me and I've been in the buisness for a long time.
Since you asked..........plasma cutter is the BEST way. I sure wish I had one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Turn the wheels in the head before the gears in the jaw
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:31 PM

Oops, I didn't take time to read that too well. I use a 10" mitre saw and it works great for clean cuts on up to about 4" wide pieces. Anything wider then I'd be using the circular saw. If you have a circular saw for carpentry, just replace the blade to use it on metal. Clamp a 2x4 onto the piece as a guide to cut a clean line on whatever you want.

Rick -- 80s CJ7, under construction since June
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For making fast straight cuts I've gotten rather fond of my circular saw with a metal cutting abrasive blade. 2 weeks ago Jaffer and I went to the Garden, I drove with my head up my ass and bent the snot out of my front bumper. Got home, had the winch off, bumper off, cut it down to frame width with the circular saw and had everything back together and painted all within an hour.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor
Land Use
VP RockGarden 4 Wheelers, Aztec, NM
RockGarden 4 Wheelers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 08:08 AM
Veteran

I've used a 4.5" grinder with a cutoff blade as well as the circular saw with a cutoff blade. Now I only use the circular saw as it is much faster. However, I use it upside down! I figured out that since the blade rotates forward when you hold it normally it throws all the spark in your face. I also can't see the line well in the normal position. So I just flip it upside down tweaking the trigger with my little finger and voila!, I can make some pretty straight cuts.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:53 AM

I use a metal blade in my worm drive saw, easy to saw and cuts like butter.

also sawzall and cutwheels are fine ( I use the cutoff wheel for most because its multiple use and always hooked up and laid out)

the shop you buy the metal from will rough cut ( with a o/a torch probably) the pieces you want.

you can grind the edges to true them up, or ask them to shear/chop saw them for a littel extra $$$ and save your time.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode