can some teach me how to use a double flare tool?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

can some teach me how to use a double flare tool??

I rented up a double flare tool from Autozone today and it didn't come with directions. Can someone enlighten me as to what i need to do? The kit came with a tube holder thingy, a clamp with a center punch, and a bunch of little "discs" that had a round indent on one side and a little dowl on the other side. Thanks for your help- Tim

My jeep has lost 75 pounds on the new diet,... the rust elimination diet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: can some teach me how to use a double flare tool??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Tim......I posed your inquiry to my Moonguy-in-chief of tubing concerns, and here is his answer: (1) Insert tubing into correct spot in flaring tool rails. Select the correct disk for the tube size you have. The amount of "stick up" above the deck of the flaring tool rails is equal to the thickness of the round disk. Set the disk alongside and adjust the stickup to get the end of the tube as high as the disk is thick. [BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE REAMED THE TUBE AFTER CUTTING.] (2) Drop the stem of the disk into the tube and slide the clamp into place, putting the point of the clamp into the little center punch hole provided. (3) Clamp the disk down to zero clearance at the rails. (4) Remove clamp; remove disk. Reset clamp and finish flaring the tube with the clamp only.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 08:02 AM
Veteran

CJDave (and the moonguys), what do you mean by reaming the tube after cutting? Do you mean thinning the walls on the inside a tiny bit? I was thinking of doing this after ruining a new clamp rail on some steel hardlines. Darn things are so tough they wouldn't collapse under the disc! Mind you the instructions on the box says to use it on alu. or copper brake tubing only ?!? Any tricks to make it easier?

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Brake line should be steel. I don't know what kind of tool you have but, that ain't right.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

oh what would we do with out the moonguys...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey i am having the same problem with the disc not being able to bend the tube. It seems the walls of the tube are a little too thick. The tubing that i bought is 3/16 brake tubing from quadratec, and it definetly thicker than the factory stuff. What now moonguys?? thanks- Tim

My jeep has lost 75 pounds on the new diet,... the rust elimination diet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

I just did a brake line extension from my proportioning valve. I too tried to double flare with my set and the tube only slips down no matter how hard I tighten it. After calling up my expert on car matters (my know-it-all dad), he said he's used single flares on brake lines before with no problems. I did that, but haven't not driven on the street yet to see how it holds up. If I find I have to do a double flare, I'll see if Snap-On makes a double flare tool. Their stuff always works!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 03:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Snap-On does make a tool for double flares. It's the best I've ever used. But expect to pay through the nose.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Can i heat up the metal were i want to flare it to make my job easier??

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Reaming is just the cleanup after you cut. Deburring might be a better description; it's just removing the little rag that the roller cutter leaves on the inside. There is a little arrow-shaped piece on the back of the cutter for just that purpose. The heavy steel lines are not able to be flared by most flaring tools, but you CAN put the flaring tube rails in the vise to get more clamping pressure to keep the tube from slipping down and sometimes get a steel line to flare like that. HINT: over time, steel hardens and looses it's ability to be "worked", so splitting is common on older tube. I recently worked on a truck which was modified by a professional truck body company and they had refitted it with copper tubing for the brakes. That sort of surprised me. This truck was a retired Coca-Cola delivery bobtail and had; I'm sure; made a zillion stops with those copper lines.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:46 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tube removed so I couldn't use the wise. I think heating it up should work but it should be close to cherry red. As for single flare I've run them with not problem for 6 months. If they seal they seal.

'91 YJ w/stuff, http://members.home.net/t.molnar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode