I can see the light!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I can see the light!!!

The nv4500 is in! I just got the rest of my parts yesterday. I took a vacation day today and started at 9:00a.m. I had the bearing pressed on the new input shaft, put it on. Had the retainer machined, put it on. Rented a tranny jack, got the throwout bearing and came home and went at it. I just now got done with getting the tranny in. I still have to put in the transfer case and shifter linkages. A big thanks to all of you that contribute to the board. I rented a tool for pulling the pilot bearing thinking it might work, nope. I was really glad I had read on here about using grease to hydraulic it out. It took about 10 times, but it worked nicely. I am feeling pretty proud today, having never even done a clutch job before, much less a tranny conversion. But, at least I know it was all done right AND I know where everything is and how it's in there. Thanks to all, I seriously doubt I could have did it without the knowledge I've gained from this board! I might get to see some trails this summer after all. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Later
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:18 AM

Re: I can see the light!!!

YOU GO ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!! I know exactly how you feel, you WILL make it, and hey, you've got an entire 3 day weekend to get it going.

A piece of advice. Before you put the transfer case in, I would turn it over a couple of times, just to make sure that your clutch deck and fork are properly clearanced. If it's not, you will hear a "very bad sound", easily recognizable from 150 yards, stop where you are. If it sounds normal, proceed with the x-fer. You will probably want to leave the orange plug in the rear of the tranny just in case (test should be done with trany in neutral, and test engaging/disengaging clutch.

What x-fer were you throwing on this thing? If it's an Atlas, you've got a little cutting, but other than that, it sounds like you have it by the short hairs.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I'm putting the 231 tcase back in. I did a SYE on it while it was all apart and because of the new lift. I wish I could afford an atlas right now, but this project has already killed my pocket book. Thanks for the info on the clutch, i'll do that.
Later
Adam

BIGJEEPTJ
A man's got to believe in something, I believe I'll have another[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I noticed you said he has a little cutting to do if he wants the atlas, how do you mean?? I'm thinking of putting the atlas to my nv4500 . are you meaning body wise, or someting else

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:31 PM

Hey JR,

Not sure if the shifter linkages on the YJ are the same as a CJ, but when I put mine in I had to trim the tub in order to get the shifters to fit. Basically you need to notch the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel about 3-5" so the shifter's mount properly. I then had to re-fab an inspection cover to fit over the new hole.

The Atlas is very nice when used in conjunction with the NV4500, in that there are no adapters, it's just 8 studs with associated nuts. The most difficult thing about it is deciding how far you want to clock it up. I have a 1" BL, so I had the room to clock it almost horizontal.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just curious if you had to trim the output shaft of the 4500. I have one, and have already chewed the body up, I just wanted to know for ref.

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:01 PM

Nope, no trimming necessary, assuming the spline-count is correct (I believe that the common is 23 or 29). If the shafts fit together (# of splines), all you have to do is goop the collar with a little RTV and bolt it up.

I may be off base here, but if you have a Dodge NV4500, there shouldn't be any fitment issues at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode