Rear 5pt. harness mounting options - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Rear 5pt. harness mounting options

In my CJ5 I had a bar going across the rear hoop for the shoulder mounts of my 5pt's (like the picture on the right)
Since the CJ7 has actual room and a seat in the back compared to the 5 and I might want to run the hardtop in the winter I was thinking I could use two vertical bars just to the inside of center of the seats, put a short horizontal bar in there for the harness attachmnewt point. Basically it would be creating a "window" to climb thru to the back easier than a side to side horizontal bar. Safety is the main concern, but if the idea on the left is just as safe, it would be nice to have easier entry/exit to whatever I have in the back if hard top is on.
In the pictures the gussets, frame tie-in, and rear passenger bars have been left out for clarity, green is the smitty fron hoop, blue is the stock bar, and red is what I am adding.

Thanks for any input.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 9-528732-Cageoptions.bmp (65.5 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:28 PM

Re: Rear 5pt. harness options

If you think through it again (i had the same idea until I thought through it 3 times.)
That setup isn't going to help the passengers get in the back any easier.
#1, The seat won't go forward (Everyone's going to have to climb over your center console.)
#2, even if the seat did go forward, the harnesses are still attached to the post/bar behind.
#3, If you go look at your jeep, with a few peices of wood (2by somthing or other,) and place them where the cross member would be, you will relaise just how little space us Jeepers really have, it's a window about 1.5 feet wide, and 1.5 high on the side windows.

My current plan is to get some caribeaners (that spelling would make my grade 3 teacher shoot somone then pull her hair out.)
Anyway, the carabeiners (see note above) would be ancored at the very back of the jeep, right infront of the tailgate/ammo box.
They would be on some simple brackets. Seeing as how I would only run the harnesses when I were offroading, It would be a matter of grabbing the straps, and threading them through the seats. (tHE BACK seat would have to be down, meaning no passangers in the back.)

But wait, there's more.

I just got an idea, the horozontal bar, what if... it were "Removable."
lol, 1 single horozontal bar, like the picture on the right, It would be stored down below the rear seat, running front to back on the extreme left or right side, better yet, it could be mounted to the roll bar, along the stock cross memeber.

Help me here, this is being thought about as I type.
How would you attach the cross bar to the center, and make it stay good enough to survive a roll over?

I was thinking two small tubes on the verticals, with a large pin/bolt.
but you can't get it in, because the posts won't separate that much.

How about this.
drill one hole in either of the stock verticals, at the hight of the horozontal.
drill them to somthing like 3/4" (The diamater equal to the interior diamater of the horozontal.)
Get a huge ass bolt, with a huge ass head, and cut that sucker down so it's only 3? 4? 5? inches long.
then, drill a 3/8 or so hole through the horozontal, through the bolt, and out the other side.
Then all you do is line up the horozontal, drive that sucker though then pin/bolt it with another bolt running through the other way. toss two nuts on the end of it, tighten them together, and voila, removable cross bar thats probably stronger then the rest of the welds.

Now you say, "It will rattle."
Go down to the local hardware store, buy some weather strip, and put it between every metal/metal surface, like a gasket, but its sticky one side, so it will stay.

If you so desire, you can attach the horozontal removable bar to the top stock horozontal, and fasten it up there with any number of items.

I'm gona go draw a picture.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:34 PM

Ok, Check this, excuse my elite paint brush skills. (You can't do any better.)

Hmm, now that I look at it, the structural integrity of the stock roll bar may not be so sound.
I would advise having a double bar where the stock one is now.(Another arch the same shape as the stock one.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-528760-untitled.jpg (11.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

1- No, seats won't move forward since they are mounted to cage, no center console to climb over.
2-seats done move, harness don't have to move, the vertical bar isn't out into the interior more than the center of the seat center.
3- Yes it's not much room, limited by the distance between the seats and the height between the top bar and bottom one which is at level of the "step-up".
3a-side window?
4-The removable bar you are describing is a lot like a swing away side bar for cars where you want to have easier access thru the doors.
5-It's actually not mspaint it is solid model converted down to a bitmap for simplicity and size.
Keep the ideas coming.

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 04:05 PM

So, when your buddy with the wet swim shorts, and dirty ass sandals wants to get in the back hes going to have to climb over your seat.
Or when buddy with the snowy boots wants a ride...

?? Maybe these are just things I think about, it's not really a big deal.
There's always the tailgate as a 3rd door.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

No tailgate, fiberglass tub, vinyle seat covers over plastic RCI seats, I would probably be wet too, or snowy. I thought of those things as well, more concerned if their is a structural problem with it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 04:55 PM

id say its more structuraly sound.

Just think, if you have a crash and the passanger side breaks loose, only the passanger goes for a flight.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

This is true.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Re: Rear 5pt. harness mounting options

Any more thoughts on structural integrity?
My main thought is the two vertical bars with short horizontal ones won't strengthen the main hoop as much as the one horizontal bar if a sideload is applied to the main hoop trying to lay it over.

<font color=red>Knowledge is Power, but Ignorance isn't always Bliss!</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:00 PM

Re: Rear 5pt. harness mounting options

It wont, you'll have to rely on the stock hoop, front hoop, and dash bar.
It should be sufficient, side flops tend to be.. side flops without a whole lot of speed or pressure, the vertical design will definately strengthen any full rolls, or backward/forward stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode