'83 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'83 CJ7

How much do you all think one would cost; that has some rust, has not been started in 2 years, needs new exhaust, bondo, paint, rims + tires, some electrical, new top, seats, paint, and some miscellaneous refurbishing, not to mention a complete rebuild? Dude wants 2 grand. To me that sounds kinda ridiculous. anyone else?

'01TJeff

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: \'83 CJ7

I agree. For a CJ in that condition, 2K is way too much. I'd think $800 to $1000 would be more like it (providing that the frame is OK).

Rick
80 CJ7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah thanks.. The frame is okay as far as I could tell, but hey, you never know, right? Oh well, thanks

'01TJeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, sounds way high. I also agree, check the frame.....a solid frame is of upmost importance...I know from experience....it sucks breaking a frame. If the frame is solid and the running gear is good try to talk him down to at least $1000, I would even try lower, like $700, then negotiate. I just bought a 75 CJ-5, knocking motor, something broke in tranny, but it is driveable around the yard. The frame is super solid and the body is mostly solid, I paid $500 for it. But I also have lots of other running gear to put in it, so I wasn't worried about the tranny and motor problem.

Click to visit the Extreme Trails website!
http://clix.to/extremetrails
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah I have this D44 sitting in my garage, and it'd be great back there. Everything on it is stock except engine/tranny. There will be other opportunities, I hope to pick up another older one at some point to be able to enjoy some hard core wheeling, without worry. you know; try your hardest to push it to the limits, and just take pieces off as the break/dent? I wouldn't trade my TJ for the world though. jeep on

'01TJeff

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 03:32 PM
Official Historian

A CJ has a 5 on 5-1/2" wheel pattern, isn't your dana 44 a 5 on 4-1/2"?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes it is, I'd have to end up replacing everything anyway, so I'd just have to convert it. But who knows, I may find one that has better.

'01TJeff

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does it run?Does it drive? What tranny and is it good?

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:19 PM

If it's an 83 CJ7 and he wants 2 grand for jeep that needs a ton of work. Figure it's going to atleast need all new hoses, some new seals, a tune up, all the fluids will need and a new battery to be changed just to get it running reliably, then new tires and wheels? (are they leaking or just ugly steelies?) and maybe some break/tranny/axle work to get it moving I would say it isn't worth it. I know of a cj-7 out here in chicago w/ a full glass body, Good frame that's been sanded down and repainted, full soft top, 32" dunlop muds, 258, t176, short shaft d300, full arg system and new wiring harness that just needs to be finished being hooked up and the 258 has issues and probably needs to be rebuilt or replaced for $1500, I aslo know of some rusty cj 5's w/ amc v-8's, t150/d20 no top or doors and rusty bodys, 33's and no lift but they run and would be good trail machines in the 600-1000 range, so I would say that it's probably not the best price. I wouldn't pay than 500 for a cj that needs a ton of work. Did he say why he hasn't started it in 2 years? Did something major happen that he isn't telling you about, maybe the engine or tranny went bad and he didn't want to disclose that? I think there are much better canidates for trail rigs out there for much cheeper.

BarrelRoll

97 TJ

Wheel it or drive a minny van

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't assume it runs or drives. It recieved a 258 and a stock? tranny out of a YJ. I'm thinking that something may have gone wrong there.The frame wasn't rusty, but the body had few spots. He either didn't know much about the Jeep, or didn't wanna tell me much, because I recieved very few factual information from him. As far as the wheels go, they are (used to be) white spokes, which are covered with rust, and look pretty brittle. And the tires are flat, worn, and it just needs new treads. I'm holding off for another that may come along. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it like always!

'01TJeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode