Here's my first write up of my 5.0 swap so far. I'm not quite done with it or the conversion. Eventually I'll put in on a webpage with pictures. What do you guys think?
5.0 HO into a CJ-7
Iím a 26 year old Naval Aviator that flies SH-60B seahawks. I got orders to Hawaii and came out with my hot-rod 300ZX sportscar. After one trip to the beach and an hour of cleaning sand out of the leather, I figured I was in need of a more practical vehicle. After shopping around I found an í82 CJ-7 with hardtop for $5000. It has zero rust, but 210,000 miles on it. I can do mechanical work, but not body work so I purchased it.
The inline 6 worked awesome on the trials, but being a daily driver, lacked highway power. It would top out at 50mph up a hill. Walking through a local junkyard for fun (Itís a great pastime), I spotted an í86 Lincoln MKVII. Inside I found a complete 5.0HO engine. Two weeks, $600, and a few greasy hands later, it was in my driveway.
I planned on doing a basic tune-up of the stock engine and running it as is. After a week on the engine stand, I decided to start taking it apart just to clean it up. After a few sleepless nights, I decided to rebuild it so I would only have to do this swap once. I tore it down and took it to the machine shop.
1986 is the worst year for a 5.0 HO. It has crummy heads, flat top pistons what wonít work with aftermarket heads, smaller throttle body, and speed density injection. I had it blueprinted, balanced, forged pistons added, ARP rod bolts, ARP main studs, oil pump, and degreed the cam at the machine shop. I went with Edelbrock heads and shorty headers. I kept the stock roller cam and intake to maximize low end torque.
I went with a new Stewart Components water pump, AGR power steering pump, and Powermaster 140 amp alternator. The Lincoln alternator is huge, and cost $400. I went with a $20 mustang bracket and $180 alternator to save some money.
The flexplate was removed and a ford flywheel and centerforce clutch added along with an Advance Adapters pilot bushing, and stock mustang bellhousing to mate with the World Class T-5 tranny.
I used MOREís bombproof ford V-8 mounts ($220). They fit perfectly. They accept 6 bolts per mount through the frame rail. I used grade 8, shouldnít be going anywhere. The mustang bellhousing puts the tranny at a tilt, so a shim is needed under the tranny mount. Iíll have to clearance the floor a little bit for the transfer case shifter.
The clutch fit just right. I have not resolved whether or not I will be able to use the stock cable with my clutch pedal, or have to convert to a hydraulic setup.
I called Ford Motorsport to see what I would need to buy to drop this engine in my jeep. He said the whole page! I ordered the main harness, engine harness, sensors, mass air package, injectors, and spark plug wires. The harness is awesome! Fits right in. Every connector is different, so itís a foolproof install. The oval hole that needs to be cut in the firewall for the computer just happens to be the same size at the pre-cut hole that is plugged just below the battery in the jeep. Fit right in. The computer will be mounted on top of the heater box behind the dash. Iíll lose my glove box interior though. Just a note, if you get a Ď89+ donor engine, you only need the ford main harness ($255 from summit racing). The rest will fit right in.
I dropped the tank and used 3/8Ē fuel injection rated rubber line ($8 a foot) to a Holley inline pump mounted to the floor of the jeep, just above the axle. A K&N billet filter is mounted inside the frame rail. I bent a 3/8Ē stainless steel hardline up to the engine compartment. This was clamped to the shortened factory steel line just below the alternator. I used the stock 5/16Ē delivery line as the return line, replacing the rubber sections with fuel injection rated line.
Thereís only about 10 wires that need to be hooked up, mostly different power wires (Always 12v, ignition only, crank only, etc.)
Whatís left to do
I still need to get the powersteering lines to match up. Then I need to get the clutch linkage to work. Then custom exhaust with the O2 sensors welded in. Then a few more wires, radiator, cooling fans, and mount the mass air meter/air filter. Should be running a couple of weeks.
Any questions or comments, email me at [email protected]
Pictures will be available after the conversion is complete