opinions of currie rear axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

opinions of currie rear axles

I just got some price quotes from Currie for a rear axle for my CJ-7. $2100 for a ford 9" with detroit locker and rear disc brakes. $2500 for a Dana 60. Anyone have experience with this companies axles? How about the 9" vs. 60 arguement. Beats the $5000 I've seen from some other companies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:22 PM

Re: opinions of currie rear axles

I would go with the D60. For that price it is probably not gonna be a high pinion D60. The 5000 that you would pay for Dynatrac would be for a high pinion, disc brake version, still way too much though.
I suppose $2500, for a D60 with a detroit, isnt that bad, as long as it is the 1.5" 35 spline, full floater version.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:56 PM
Old Hand

I bought some stuff through a friend that gets decent pricing through them. I put together a 9" with the following components for $2,220. It sounds high, but when you start figuring detoit, nodular 3rd member (hi pinion), gears, set-up, discs, full floater (I flat tow) it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Axle housing (HD junkyard version) $50
Warn Full Floater (currie 31 spl shafts) $595
Cut housing, weld HD billet ends $200
hi pinion 3rd member, detroit, 4.56 $1,175
calipers (caddy) $70
rotors $50
caliper brackets $80

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you get either one i'd get the 60. if you get it the width you want it should be the last rear you'll ever need. 9" rears are beefy but still not as strong as a 60 and they have a low pinion. yes they make the high pinion version but they have been proven weak. if it were me i'd go find something you can use from a j/yard.

i had a ford 9" from a 70's modle f100 that measured 62" wide and it had 31spline shafts, big bearings, and the stronger flanged housing. you could easily have this axle built up well for under $1000

i built a 60" wide 30spline dana 60 using two rearends to run in my jeep one time two. i put scout d44 housing ends on a dana 60 and cut it down to use the scout d44 shafts (d44 30spline shafts and 30 spl. shafts from a d60 are the same). i had access to a machine shop at the time so it didn't cost me much. 4.56's, full detroit, and disc's for about $800 total

i now run a cab and chassis chevy dually 14bolt rear. big heavy and practicly unbreakable. i bought it for $150. i swapped some parts for a 4.56 r&p and detroit (14bolt detroits are only about $300 anyway) and she is good. i have a 1ton rear and would only have $450 in it if i had bougfht the locker. i still need to build disc's for it though.

anyway just showing you some options of saving some $$$ if you have the time, tools, etc. to do it your self. good luck.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
vortec350/4L80E/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 06:22 AM

sounds funny for me to say this, but those prices seem pretty fair,

i would go for the 60, you want 35-spline shaft (especially if it's a semi-floater)

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode