Motor Craft 2100 _ WooHoo!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:15 PM
cj7ted

Motor Craft 2100 _ WooHoo!!!

Just completed the Motorcraft 2100 mod. WOW, It's so nice to drive the CJ without fear of it dying while stopped at a light. Between the carb, ignition and nutter bypass I almost have a new jeep.

I am getting ready to do a clutch and am wondering how much the Dana 300 and T5 tranny weigh? Anyone have some input?

Ted
Friendswood, Tx.
83 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:32 PM

Re: Motor Craft 2100 _ WooHoo!!!

Cool.

The sales of weber carbs must be hurtin once the word has gotten out about how well these carbs work. If only amc has used the motorcraft to begin with. They seem to like other ford stuff in the jeeps.

You might want to pull the engine to change the clutch. It's easier than you think. Esp if you have a cherry picker at your disposal than a hoist for the tranny and transfer case. Don't forget to resurface the flywheel while your at it. Change bearings and rear main seal at same time? I'm good at telling other people what to do!

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:48 PM
Addict

It's not that bad to drop the T5 and Dana 300 out of the Jeep. I did it twice in the last month. (long story, don't ask) Anyway, 2 guys can easily tote the pair around. Here's how I was able to pull it and install it with a minimum of fuss.

1. Place a large jackstand under the rear yoke of the transfer case. (disconnect driveshafts and all other connections to the T5 and D300)
2. Unbolt the skidplate and the tranny mount and stabilizer. The jackstand will hold the unit up. Remove the skidplate and place a floor jack where the mount bolts to.
3. Wrap a ratcheting hold-down strap around the unit and the jack. Ratchet that thing till it gets real tight. Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing.
4. Pull out the jackstand and slide the jack and unit back away from the bellhousing. Installation is just the reverse.

It is actually alot easier than it sounds. This is how I did it and it only cost me $9 for the ratcheting strap.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 09:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

"If only amc has used the motorcraft to begin with. They seem to like other ford stuff in the jeeps."

Uh, Tim, they(AMC) used the 2100 on just about every V8 produced.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I'm not sure what the 4barrels were, but....

Caver Dave
'72 Commando Project - "Mossy"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:43 AM

Just finished mine about half an hour ago, with a 10 inch open air filter.
Sounds really nice at idle. More high pitch than the bbd but really smooth. The idle must be set really high though... real loud

Is it normal if you give it gas to make a "swoosh" sound for a moment before kicking in?

Still waiting for those good 31's at the yard...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a tip for all you 2100 converts. If you can weld at all its real easy to make an adapter that allows you to use the factory CLOSED air cleaner. Just carefully bend a piece of 2" flat steel so that it fits in a circle around the horn on the 2100 then weld a 12ga. plate on top of that, then just bend a 1" flat steel piece that is just bigger than the snout on the air cleaner. put the second , smaller piece on the plate and mark the inside. Then just cut out the plate, leaving a lip for the gasket to set on, and weld er up.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 06:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey , what mod ? Did I miss something here about the 2100 ?

Thanks

Jeff

<font color=black>O|||O [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode