TJ Heater/Def Mode Gate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ Heater/Def Mode Gate

Has any other TJ owners had their Heater/defroster mode setting gate jammed by leaves and debris? All of my heater functions work until I set to window defrost, then the air gets somehow blocked off and nothing comes out to blow on the window. It makes a constricted, stuffed up sound. While it was still under warranty last year, the dealership did a good, quick cleaning and the problem went away. This summer it has jammed again. Since it can't be all that difficult to clean this thing out, I thought I would give this a try myself. Before I start taking things apart, has anyone else done this so I might have a hint where might be the right place to start? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 02:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: TJ Heater/Def Mode Gate

If leaves are in your system, the only place they can get in is through th vent next to the hood and the windshield, I'm not sure where to access that area on my TJ, I've never looked, but I would imagine it would be from under the hood, above the firewall, maybe there is an area to access there. I;ll look later and let you know, I'm stuck in work right now and its pouring down outside, so I can't do it right now...

http://bastroptx4x4.alloffroad.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:40 PM

Sometimes I get smaller leaves and debris in the vent system. I haven't had any problems with things clogging up, I can however hear them blowing around. What I do is turn the fan to high, then switch between modes - Vent, Floor, Defrost etc. and then back. What usually happens is as I switch a bunch of crap comes out of the various vents.

Good Luck

Rob

"Anyone perfect must be lying.
Anything easy has its cost."
Barenaked Ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:48 PM

Thats just great..
so your blasing down the highway at 75mph, you turn on the vent and your met with a nice plaster of rotting leaves?

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 05:24 PM
Addict

there are several torx bolts holding the entire piece of metal from windshield to hood and from fender to fender. You'll have to remove your wiper arms and jockey the hood up and down to get this piece out. There is a flange that goes straight into a seal just below the windshield. You'll have to lift the side by the hood up a little, and then pull straight toward the front end to get the flange out of the seal, meanwhile fighting to get it over the wiper shafts that go thru this piece of metal. I hope this helps rather than confuses. Oh yeah I think there are some torx screws under the hood seal also.

If your kidneys don't hurt, it's not a real Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode