Nutter Bypass? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Nutter Bypass?

I've been looking for a while now, and everyone always says "I don't know if it can be done on a YJ?"

Well, can it?

I'd like to give it a shot on my '89 YJ, but I don't want to be the gunniea pig, it's my daily driver.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 02:45 PM
Addict

Re: Nutter Bypass?

Yep. If it has the Carter BBD, it can be bypassed.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat." --Jaws
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How long did you look for buddy?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

The first line when you look up John Nutters write-up is "All the CJ's and YJ's with the Carter BBD (258)..."

Any how, the bypass is basicly for the YJ because not many of the CJ's had the computer controlled Carter I don't think. Some people have tried this and loved it, some have hated it and some didn't think it made a difference. Personally, I found it easier and safer to just disconnect the stuff that the computer controlled, one at a time so if it started to run badly, I would know what is was that caused it.
Can anyone who has done it give Infernozx some feed back on how you think it went.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I just went outside and played with it for a while.

I took all the electronics off the carb, no difference, it started to idle after a while, all good, I turned the idle screws down from 2500, to 1000 still idled, put the airfilter mount back on.
Stall, take it off, stall, put it all back on, back to square one, take it round the block, 3 stalls till I gave up and featherd the gas all the way home.

Got home, opend the hood, pulled #1 plug, no change, put it back on pulled #2, no change (no sound change, no speed change, nothing..
pulled 3-6 in sequence, no change. (started thinking this is a really solid motor.)
Pulled 1 & 2 at the same time, no change.

got pissed off, came inside, had a glass of water, saw my cat decapitate a mouse on the balcony, and now I'm typing this.

Anyone have any ideas.
maybe I'll go to the not so local "U-Pull" and see about a motorcraft 2100. Check if they have any yorks, airtanks, brackets, and other assorted goodies.

How about those hard doors stooby!
If you sell me yours I won't have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping, (prolly come and even pick them up from Van Island, (Thats where you are right?)

Just think, if I don't pay a ton for shipping I can pay you more!, and get a stack of new/used goddies.

Jeep Icon, Raised 2", Lowered 2", 4pt Independant Suspention. (Yes, that is an Oompa Loompa driving it.)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I could see it now. I sell you the doors and all winter long I'm getting not only ticketed for not having any, but stuck in a room with a bunch of shrinks aswell!
Your best bet will be the buy and sell or Gary's.

'88 Sahara, 4.2 that runs. The rest is getting there![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

You could just tell them

"It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the last officer already thought I was been too cocky with him. I could just image what he would have done if I had come back like that. The old billy club to the headlights and so on...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 05:37 PM
Journeyman

It sounds like from what I have experienced in the pass is vacuum leaks and mixture adjustment! (this took me about 5 years worth of testing) I know, when I put my stock air cleaner on, the engine runs really ruff. With it off it runs smother. So I installed a K&N filter and body and only use the original air cleaner for smog inspection. Check all vacuum lines!! I found out that I had a vacuum leak out of that small metal vacuum can that sits inside the passengerís fender-wall. I just removed it and wow what an improvement. Take some pliers and pinch off different areas of the vacuum line to trace any leaks. The engine will run smother if a small leak is detected.

I too have the BBD w/ the computer disconnected and I do swear that I almost runs as smooth as a fuel ejected engine! I also did the TFI upgrade and installed a Crane Came FireBall ignition system, which also made an incredible difference!

Donít loose faith and keep on trying. It takes a lot of trail and error!!!!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you cleaned you idle tubes? i had same problem and cleaning the idle tubes took care of it,also did the nutter bypass.I forget where the site is for the idle tubes,but it gives all you need to know.A search on Carter BBD should help you find it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

It ran awsome for about 3 days after cleaning the tubes, then it started hacking again, and eventually dying at every stop light.

I think I'm gona go find the purdiest MotorCraft 2100 from a yard and clean it up some more.

Stooby, you have to use the double jeapordy law to your advantage.

When the cop asks you what the hell your doing, just keep muttering "Jeep, Jeep"

When they toss you in an insane asylum, stop, get tested, and then they'll let you out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode