Buying your upgrades and mods "installed". - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Buying your upgrades and mods \"installed\".

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I just read Jammy's post on this subject and responded. (Look under the "Rich Jeeper" post.) My basic point was that money doesn't necessarily determine smarts or abilities, and a rich Jeeper could be an ace mechanic and fabricator with too many job responsibilities to do his own Jeep work. It's true that H8 DOES work in a parking lot and his "industrial" Jeep is superb, but you really can't use H8 as an example since he falls into that tiny percentage of the population who I refer to as "Generally Higher Functioning". Somehow, H8 missed the "natural speller" function, but in most other ways he fits the profile. Some "higher functioning" people even enjoy better overall health and if you look at their school records, they probably have several years of perfect attendance. The "higher functioning" thing is a phenomenon that I have studied for YEARS, and if I were to ever go after a PhD, that would be a VERY interesting project. There are folks around that just have more overall mental power and most important, the ability to get that power to the work that has to be done. You often see a combination of above average sports abilities in the same person who gets all A's at Yale or Navy. We had a kid from our home town who was like that and he DID go to Annapolis.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] So......if you leave out the exceptional people and just work with averages, there's definitely something to be said; under certain prevailing conditions; (apt. living, no extra time available, other responsibilities, etc.) for working real hard at what gives you your paycheck; buying wisely; and having the work done FOR you.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I don't do that very much because I'm always working on some outrageous never-before-tried design, but when it comes to automatic transmissions or compooters, it's to the commercial shop I go![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img], buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:31 PM

Re: Buying your upgrades and mods \"installed\".

well said [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

And to quote Clint Eastwood in the movie Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations".

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:47 PM

Ohhh stop,
your ambearassi, embarrrasin, embeerising, uhhh, making me blush.

Jeff
89 YJ
Adversity is imminent, versatility is mandatory, misery is optional.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 10:09 PM

Whoooooooo hang on one minute. If I can tear apart a turbo 400....completely.....and have it work and have it last then you can too. later

"there is a story behind that one"

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Way Outta Control

Heck you ain't blushin'... you've been welding with your shirt off agian [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:59 AM

I sent my baby to the shop for the first time this spring for a couple of semi lame reasons... I didn't want a 200 lb trannie laying on my chest, and I can't weld worth a hoot for lack of equipment and practice. Plus summer was coming and I sure wasn't wanting to miss any of it after having my CJ stripped down in pieces the past four revolutions.
Business concerns were hindering my progress as was old age ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ... or at least it feels like it at times.
I opted to buy a used Currie front 44 instead of cutting the Scout I already had stripped down, got the 20's gears matched and pumpkin rotated for CV's plus a cage bent and welded in.
Those farmed out mods got me on the trails for summer fun so I'm happy about that. Plus I know that the core work was done well.
On the down side, it was a miserable experience to have my baby gone from it's home for so long and I'm still upset about having someone else laying a wrench to her after a total frame up build.
Nobody, and I mean nobody can or will do everything to your liking after someone goes back in behind you...
Things like spraying black paint through your stainless brake lines to hit the new spring pad welds on the axel, reinstalling any old fasteners from a pile instead of reinstalling all your pretty matched grade 8's, drilling way too many holes in your tub, and other generally sloppy commercial shop grade work.
Of coarse, I'll have to go back and re-do a lot of that stuff ... it will bother me untill I do.
So, as I said, sometimes it's OK to take it to a shop in my mind, but I know I could and would have done a better job of it given the time. That's something I haven't had an excess of lately so in my case that was the trade off.
From what I know of you'all, I'm the third oldest amoung all of you guys, right behind CJDave and LEVE. I set up my first set of 4.88's, hand built my first engine, and stick welded the A frame tow bar for my '57 Chebby long before the majority of you were born.
So just don't dare tell me to my face I'm not a "real" Jeeper because I chose to get that work done or because I bought a clocking adapter ... or at least don't dare say that to me if I have a wrench in my hand ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img].

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to throw my 2 cents in and say I agree with all the above. I'm new to this board but I've been wrenching on cars for almost 30 yrs. I do almost everything myself for two reasons..one, I think i'ts fun..I'm sure the shrinks could have a field day with that[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]...and two, I don't have a lot of money to pay someone else. Another thing to consider is safety. If your toy is driven on the street you better make sure your welds, suspension, steering, and brakes are not going to fail you at a most in-opertune time. So paying someone else who you know can do it right may be the best...for all of us[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've thought about this many times. It's really an awkward situation. Take me, for instance. I work in an office. Corporate America - interest rates, investments, financing, etc. I PROMISE you I'm the only one in this office who can change my own oil. There is almost some validity to the stereotype of do-it-yourselfers being mainly "blue collar," "working men." I've tried to figure out why that is, and if it is at all possible to accel in both worlds. All the mechanically inclined individuals I know (and I'm out of the loop by even knowing them) are just that - Pep Boys employees, mechanics, etc. And all the "white collar," office folk I know are just that - they need a third party to put air in their tires.

Is it possible to be a professional businessman behind a desk with a computer, yet still go home at night and fire up the welder? I don't know ANYONE who does this. I almost fear I'm in to this "Jeep thing" as a detriment to my career. My peers go home at night and play with mutual funds and dream about bonds. I go home and turn wrenches. Am I a freak of nature?

I try to tackle most things myself. I started from ZERO mechanical knowledge (wasn't raised with that influence) and have since learned A LOT. Yet there are some things that I lack the equipment and/or the guidance to do myself. So I have to pawn them off. I hate doing this for the reasons mentioned in previous posts, but there's not much I can do about it.

The closest people I know to my situation are ZJ and WJ guys, who have expensive mods put on their rigs by others, but THEY do actually wheel them. I guess I'm straddling the fence...I do have a ZJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Who needs a road...if there's a perfectly good JEEP trail somewhere else!?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 02:21 PM
Pooh-Bah

There are some things I will buy and not make. For me it's a time versus price thing. I work at a computer all day, but am not a business man, go home and weld, cut, bend, turn wrenches, etc. until I am afraid of waking the neighbors since all my work is done in a carport.
On my current project it was easier and less time consuming for me to use the MORE SRS kit off my CJ5 than it was to build one. Same with my front hoop, kit from Smitty, but the rest of it I do myself. Most everything else I am building, I bought 3/16" wall 2x4 steel for front and rear bumpers, instead of buying them, 1/4" 2"x4" angle steel for rock sliders, again instead of buying them.
I guess I don't buy the stuff and have it installed, I buy it and install it, but when I do the front and rear gears I will probably have it done, and I hated rebuilding th350's.

<font color=blue>pbm</font color=blue>

ROLLED The 74 CJ5, so I am now building a 78 CJ7

<font color=red>Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode