can a CJ5 be stretched to a CJ7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

can a CJ5 be stretched to a CJ7?

could I stretch a CJ5 to a CJ7 by buying replacemet sheetmetal for the area around the CJ7/Wrangler door?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:11 AM
TEX

Re: can a CJ5 be stretched to a CJ7?

<font color=purple>No, the wheelbase is different. You might be able to open up the door opening, but you won't be "stretching it from a 5 to a 7".</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
&lt;a href="http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing"&gt;G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing&lt;/a&gt;

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 12:21 PM

It's doable with sheetmetal and a frame stretch, but what would be the point beyond a welding & bodywork exercise and a big waste of time & money? There's a pretty cool rig in the latest issue of the rag that 4WP Wholesalers puts out. The guy started with his old trail veteran CJ-5 and essentially stretched it into a bobbed CJ-8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 12:53 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Bobbed CJ8 with CJ5 doors? Sounds like a CJ6 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
&lt;a href="http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing"&gt;G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing&lt;/a&gt;

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

hey Jeepskate, long time no chat. I saw the stretched CJ you mentioned. I had thought of it earlier since there are no pre '75 CJ7s and '75 and older in Cali don't have smog checks. I wana make a hot rod from a Jeep. It would be a my Jeepster but with a TJ look. I think I told you a long time ago. I would use it to save up parts for my Yj like TJ flares, Explorer 8.8" rear, renegade rear bumpers, and such. here is a pic
i'd like to put a TJ front on it.(that would NEVER go on my YJ =P) what's your website address? I lost my links when going to WIN98. I still want to strech my YJ to be in between what I have and a bobtailed CJ8. Any thoughts on my Jeepster?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 07:53 PM

I think you can do it, in one of the magazine they stretch a cj2a into a flatfender cj6. The body would be simple. the frame be the hard part because it must be strong and square, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 08:16 PM

YJ4LIFE, Please do not butcher your Commando to do the hot rod thing, they are too hard to come by to slaughter it for that. THe pic looks good even though I am not a hot rod guy, but Keep something with a square back, the Jeepster is not your ride. Besides You would be in for a lot of work widening it to accomidate your TJ front, there is a big width difference there.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

don't worry about my dad's '68 Commando. that thing is so stock it has the buick v6 and oil air filter still. I should scan some pics for u guys of it.... His Commando is more CJ than Jeepster. I'm thinking in the spirit of the pre-Commando Jeepsters and the recent concept car for my Hot Rod Jeepster.

Tas '89 YJ 4.2L, AX-15, 31" BFGs, Flowmaster, Euro tail lights....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have input on this????

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I saw one at the Smoky Mnt Venture. The owner had his own shop/business. He had stretched the door just like you mentioned to a Cj7/8 entry width but then kept the curve of the cj5. We(not me alone)thought that it was a CJ6, but the stretch was in the wrong place for a six.
I would have to do some searching and get back to you but I may be able to get his work number. (south Florida).let me know if you want me to.
-Will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode