Complete exhaust system for CJ-7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2000, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Complete exhaust system for CJ-7

Does any one know if there are complete exhaust systems out there for a 79 CJ-7 with a 304? If not what are the best combinations of products out there to peice one together. I'm looking at headers, cats, and mufflers and everything in between. This is my first CJ (fourth jeep) so thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:38 AM

Re: Complete exhaust system for CJ-7

Personally, I would run in frame style hedders, flowmasters and have a reputable shop custom bend the exhaust. That way you can insure the best clearences for breakover, suspension and such.

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4-wheel drive hardware sells all the exhaust pieces you will need. The front header pipe (manifold to cat or muffler) is listed as only fitting a 1978 CJ. The header pipe will also fit a 79 but they wont tell you that. I bought a complete exhaust system for my 79 with the header pipe for the 78, which is all they have listed, and everything fit without modification.
I am assuming you are talking about stock single exhaust, if not, they have headers too.
Personally I would not use headers for the simple fact that they are prone to leaks and they really aren't needed at low engine RPM's. They look cool though.
Mizu

Trailhed.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 01:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with mizu on the headers. I've had headers on street cars and 4x4's and they are a pain in the a$$! For the bit of performance you gain (mostly in the upper rpm band) they are not worth the hassle. If this is a racer or strictly a horsepower machine that is different, but for a street/trail rig I'd stay away from the leaky tubes. Just my $.02

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT
1983 Dodge Ram (2wd)
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well out here in colorado. you can't get a muffler shop to put on any exause except the one it came with. and the same goes for ny state. i have tried to convince the some dozen shops i wne to, too try to bend me some dule exauset. with cats. so that it would be legal. and they said "cant do it sorry" then i was like how about you just bed the pipe and i'll put it in at my house. they still said that they wouldn't do it cause it is like a $10,000 fine if they get cought. so i made my own out of peices of stright pip and prebet sections that you can get at the auto part store.
but in your state it might be legal. or you might find a guy thats willing to bed the rules. i'm a young kid. 23 and they wouldn't do it for me.maybe that had something to do with it.
good luck.

1980 cj7 304 beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode