Jerry cans NOT on tire carrier? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:09 PM
kerns

Jerry cans NOT on tire carrier?

Obviously a lot of people mount their jerry cans to the tire carrier/rear bumper. I'm wondering, for those of you who don't, where DO you put them? I've seen the various saddle bag type carriers hanging on the sides either in the rear or forward of the doors. A buddy was running them on his CJ5 which worked great until he tipped it and the can got crushed (luckily not igniting). What other better solutions have people come up with?

My question stems from my desire to get a new rear bumper/carrier. I love the Bulletproof, but don't want the spare sticking way off the back (due to jerry cans). A buddy is running the Tomken setup and it is just waaaaay out there. I've seen the setups (such as Durango's) with the cans to the sides of the tire. But I haven't found this setup on a bumper I love. I am not skilled enough to fab my own bumper setup. Ideas?

Justin

84 CJ7 258 T18 2.5" lift 33x9.5" BFG A/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jerry cans NOT on tire carrier?

Justin,
I've been running into the same exact thing with my TJ. I know I'm going to have to get a tire carrier for the back, but most of the ones I've seen stick out a lot. I'd rather have the gas cans on the side of the tire, orsomething. The gap caused by the gas cans doesn't look too great. But I like bulletproof MFG, and it looks great, and I got a lot of good comments on it, so I think I'm going to just suck it up and put the cans behind the tire. Let me know if you find one that doesn't. like within the next 2 weeks good luck

"Roads? Where we're going; we don't need...roads"
Jeep On!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.trailquest.com/bumper/swing_rear.shtml

Here's another tire rack and bumper combo, without gas can mounts. Maybe there would be a way to hook them up with a strap or something, oh well

Jeep On!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:07 PM

The only problem I can see with mounting stuff on my Jeep, is people would steal it.
Hell I don't even have a fire-extinguisher cause if I did, someone would just jack it.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:13 PM
kerns

Ya I guess it would be possible to rig something up to mount the cans the other way on the Bulletproof as well. The bent tube is about the height of the can. Maybe you could fit cans beside the tire if they were oriented the other way. I'll only be running a 33".

Now that I think about it, I have to believe that Bulletproof has had this request before. Maybe they have a mod they can make to accomodate. Since you have to wait 7 weeks anyway, might as well ask the question.

Justin

84 CJ7 258 T18 2.5" lift 33x9.5" BFG A/T
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 06:19 PM

Has anyone mounted a GI Folding shovel on the side/front of their Jeep?
My Sahara would look primo with it.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have one of the shovels, but haven't mounted it yet on my TJ. I'm planning on rigging up something near the gas tank in back, if not, it'll go in my trunk

Jeep On!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 09:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I used to run and still have the mounts for a ditch shovel (three feet long with a square blade) on one side and a full size axe on my CJ5. I have locks that have hidden screws (behind the tools) to prevent random theft. I'll put them on and try to take some pics this week.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 10:00 PM

Currently I have my can mounted on my fenderwell up against the the roll bar. Works great for now. I just finished my rocker guards and started on my front bumper today. After i get the front bumper finished its on to the rear and then the spare tire carrier. I'll figure something out as far as the can goes. Maybe on the outside of the tire. Sometimes the simplest of things are too complicated.

<font color=blue>97 TJ 4" Superlift, 33x9.5 BFG</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>79 CJ-5 2.5" Procomp, 31" Coop's, Lock Right up front</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Infernozx What I did was to bunjie cord a GI folding shovel to my high lift jack.Mine is mounted on the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode